Losing feathers under chin

OP
S

Steenbokpixie

Aug 12, 2010
Parrots
Goku - Rainbow Lorikeet
Thanks, I'll check out that site in detail when I get home tonight. I'd love to be able to get one of those kits to take a sample myself, but I'm worried about screwing something up and hurting him when taking blood. I also have a fear of needles, although I'm sure if it had to be done I could bring myself to. I just don't want to do something wrong and seriously hurt him or have him lose trust and hate me for the rest of his life.

The general vet nearby doesn't do this sort of test :( I called the vet we went to this morning back and asked about the cost of the test and was told that he'd need one of two depending on symptoms, age, etc. One would be $60 and the other $160, but she couldn't tell me which one he'd need until after we get there...I wouldn't want to pay $160 as after ringing another, closer, vet earlier they quoted about $90. They said that this is because we'd need to pay for the consultation as well as the test as they need to inspect the bird first, so this would be $90 in total. It seems pretty pointless to drive out another half an hour, have to take time off work (I'm a contractor so don't get paid sick leave or personal days), make my boyfriend take time off uni, just to find out that they're going to charge us $160 when we could've paid $90 at a closer vet. I think because he isn't actually feeling ill at this immediate time I'll wait until my next fortnightly paycheck and book in with the closer vet, and pay $90 with the test and consultation. I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have him checked over by another pair of eyes anyway.

PS: Thanks for the dog/cat carrier idea! We don't have one, but I'm sure we could find something at the local pet shop for situations like these.

Last edited:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Ah that is so sad. :( I hope you can get him tested as soon as possible. I hate vets that say 'probable'! To me 'probable' means that you dont know - period!

But I know how it feels to be at the vet, it is as if our brains comes to a standstill and no questions or doubts come to mind. Only after we leave we start thinking and then we can kick ourselves for being so gullible. :mad:

Please keep us updated.

Most Reactions