LOST: Cookie my African Grey

cookie.eluindy

Oct 26, 2014
On Wednesday, October 22nd, my african grey, cookie flew away in Katy TX. She wears a silver band in her right leg. I am devastated over her disappearance.

We posted fliers in the neighborhood, put her cage outside, and posted on all lost and found pets website on the internet. We go out everyday and call her name around the neighborhood.

It has been 5 days and I am afraid she may not survive that long.

What else can I do?

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I am so sorry to hear that! :(

I would begin expanding your search from your neighborhood. By the sounds of it, Cookie was a very capable flyer. It doesn't take much for them to get far. Have you tried using major FaceBook bird groups (like BirdTricks, for example) to send out a missing notice? That can often help expand the search and notify others to keep a look out. Same with notifying your local animal control and SPCA.

Aside from that, all I can consider is offering a reward for her at the point. African Greys are huge sellers in the bird world, and if some individual who is not as kind found her they may be more inclined to keep or sell her than return her. A finders fee is often a good incentive.

I seriously hope you are able to find her soon and welcome her back home! My heart aches for you :(

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm so sorry this happened. Keep posting fliers everywhere. Contact every veterinary clinic, rescue organization and police station in the area and leave your contact information. Sometimes when a person finds an animal and can see it's a lost pet, they aren't sure how to locate the owner, make it as easy for them as you can. If you haven't offered a reward already, that could be an incentive to do the right thing.

If you have a recording of your bird's flock calls, you could play the recording for Cookie near the cage you have set up to lure her back.

Best of luck in locating your baby and bringing her home safely. Please keep us updated.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so sorry to hear this:(
Hoping that she comes back to you soon.
I would also suggest using your own FB page to post about her, and asking all your friends and family to share as well.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am so sorry to hear this:(

Mark (birdman666) just lost his gray last weekend, and he said in his thread someone contacted him about finding a gray, but it wasn't his. I'm pretty sure he lives in Texas, so that may be a possibility to look into (just mentioning, I mean how many CAGs could possibly be lost in Texas in a week?)-

Got up at the crack of dawn this morning and walked the treeline again. NOTHING!

At this point, he's either moved on, or someone's got him, or he's dead...

No sightings since last Sunday. No visits to the food stations I set up. Not a thing.

I did get a call on my lost and found ad on Craigslist. Someone found a CAG. It wasn't mine though... so that's probably my only hope.

I'm very down...

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That bird was found in San Marcos, which is way too far from Katy.

Tusk was found about six miles from home.

The other bird we found was still in the same complex from where he was lost.

The THIRD one we found, is still looking for his or her owner...

CAGS spook easy, I guess...

We also found a quaker...

I've been busy!

If your bird is tame, it will probably look for someone to take it in before starving to death. Flyers in the neighborhood, and the pet stores, talk to people, parrot 911, and craigslist. DON'T GIVE UP AND DON'T LOSE HOPE!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I really don't know much about Texas but this alert came up and thought I would pass along

911 Parrot Alert (Official)

SPOTTED!! AFRICAN GREY!! An African Grey was spotted yesterday (Dec. 11, 2014) in Round Rock, TX (near AUSTIN) behind the Round Rock High School. We were also told that what they think was the same bird was spotted a few months back. I hope this helps someone out there...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I really don't know much about Texas but this alert came up and thought I would pass along

911 Parrot Alert (Official)

SPOTTED!! AFRICAN GREY!! An African Grey was spotted yesterday (Dec. 11, 2014) in Round Rock, TX (near AUSTIN) behind the Round Rock High School. We were also told that what they think was the same bird was spotted a few months back. I hope this helps someone out there...

Katy is over by Houston. It's several hundred miles the other direction.

Pthomas

Apr 26, 2015
houston
Parrots
Rico, he is a Quaker parrot
On Wednesday, October 22nd, my african grey, cookie flew away in Katy TX. She wears a silver band in her right leg. I am devastated over her disappearance.

We posted fliers in the neighborhood, put her cage outside, and posted on all lost and found pets website on the internet. We go out everyday and call her name around the neighborhood.

It has been 5 days and I am afraid she may not survive that long.

What else can I do?
Not sure if you have found Cookie and it may be a long shot judging by the date this was posted but as I was scrolling through FB I saw this of a bird found in spring uploadfromtaptalk1435034329960.jpg

Most Reactions