Lost trust cutting wing

Rubyanrio

Jan 4, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Rio B/G GW ruby
Hello all. After making my mind up that my birds get far more freedom clipping their wings, playing outside, on top cage, perches all over the yard, etc, everything was going fine til my b/g wings needed a trim. Even tho I had been treating him wings up extra, the wing clipping went badly and I've lost our trust, I have already decided next time I will take too vet but for now it's a long road back too making it up too him, any advise? Thanks,:

Rockford

Mar 2, 2014
USA
I don't have any advice, but to give it time. I just wanted to say that I must be very lucky that in 25 years, I've never had a bird that distrusted me after a wing clipping, not even when the clipping got extra stressful for all involved. Even my BFA who isn't a cuddly bird comes to me for comfort after I "attack" him with scissors and "hack off" his wings.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I agree with Wendy. He's probably just temporarily upset with you. It's pretty common for birdies to give you the 'cold shoulder' for a while (even a couple days!) if you've really upset them. Be sure you're rewarding and giving massive praise after the clips from now on, so your bird learns to associate it with a positive outcome (praise, treats, other rewards).

When we clip Kiwi, he is never a very happy camper, but he has learned over time he gets some treats and a bath afterwards, so he is much more accepting/no longer holds a grudge because he knows theres a reward at the end for him:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I also wouldn't worry :). Every bird is different, and I may be lucky that my birds don't hold grudges even if I have to catch and restrain them in a towel for whatever the reason may be. Some birds do hold a grudge though, but as everyone said, they do get over it rather quickly. Talk to him in a soft and sincere voice about how sorry you are, etc. He may not understand what your words literally mean, but he can certainly pick up on your tone and vibe, and they're very smart ;).

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I agree, short term, he'll get over it and love you again.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Just a heads up, just because he's clipped doesn't mean he can't fly off. I wouldn't leave him unattended or unharnessed outside.

OP
R

Rubyanrio

Jan 4, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Rio B/G GW ruby
Thanks for the support and u are all right. Patience and extra lovin is working and he is back too his usual self. It was our first time and only 90 odd years too go so we will get it right. Green wing ruby is so gentle they are amazing gentle for such large birds. Always up for cuddles, but rio B/G is high active,full on, no time for cuddles, haha love these guys :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 244
OP
R

Rubyanrio

Jan 4, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Rio B/G GW ruby
Rockford I think yr great bird parent, I'm 2 years into this bird world have heaps too learn, some are natural with our feather friends some will only try their best.

Most Reactions

Latest posts