Lovebirds and a Jenday Conure

Ondarabird

Oct 24, 2013
Hi
I have an aviary 4mt x 3mts x 2mt high,it contains only lovebirds,is it possible to put a Jenday Conure in with them to live,at the moment its lives in a cage,its a 2 year old female,i do know that lovebirds are aggressive,any advice would appreciated
Brian (Spain)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Ooooooooooooooooooohhh... I'd be very afraid to put the conure in...
IF you do, watch super-closely. for DAYZSZSZSZS!
How many lovebirds are we talking about?
The more I think about it, the more nervous I get.
Maybe others will have more ideas.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes I agree with Gail above, do NOT put them together, for the safety of everyone involved. The lovebirds could see the Jenday as an intruder (very likely) and attack, or vise versa. Keeping them separated would be the best, safest scenario :)

OP
O

Ondarabird

Oct 24, 2013
Hi
Thank you to the 2 replies,it was i thought,Lovebirds a nasty little lot when there is a crowd,i can assure both of you this Conure it will not try to make friends with them,she stays where she is,(she has a very good home already,after being treated very badly by her last owner)I just thought she like a few friends,perhaps getting her a mate might make her a bit happier and quieten her vocal cords down a bit,
Thank you
Brian

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi
Thank you to the 2 replies,it was i thought,Lovebirds a nasty little lot when there is a crowd,i can assure both of you this Conure it will not try to make friends with them,she stays where she is,(she has a very good home already,after being treated very badly by her last owner)I just thought she like a few friends,perhaps getting her a mate might make her a bit happier and quieten her vocal cords down a bit,
Thank you
Brian

Getting her a mate may just intensify the noise factor! If she's screaming a lot, then it may be another problem -- does she get a lot of attention, out of time cage time, training and bonding with you? All of those would probably help her greatly :)

OP
O

Ondarabird

Oct 24, 2013
Hi Jackie
Thanks for the info,the problem is I have bird room with other types of birds,also the problem is there are 4 lovebirds that are being kept inside due to illness and injury,they are in cages so no contact,i took this bird in because it was looked after very badly by a lady of 80 odd,at the moment the Conure is eating well,but only seeds,but she does not know what fruit/veg are,it was never as far as i know never came out of the cage in its small amount of time of its life,I am an aviary man,I do not like to see birds or any animal in cages,saying that I do have 1 Rock Pebbler in the house,but she is one of us,most of the time out of her cage,she speaks about 20 phrases,very clear,and of course when i call her she flies to me,with the Conure i think i will have to find a new home for her,really she is a wild bird,i think to old for training,it has escaped a couple of times and is a bit nasty,so thick gloves were needed.
Thank you again for your help
Best wishes
Brian

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That is a very dangerous idea. Please do not do it. You will just end up with dead birds all around.

No bird is too old for training if you have the time and energy to do it, but it will take a long time. If you rescued her from a bad situation it could be that your only place in her life was just that; rescue her and find a safe home for her. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts