Loving their food!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Well the new babies are settling in. When I checked on them a few times through the night they were sleeping on their food dishes. There are lots of nice perches through out but I think they felt they had to guard the food, poor babies.:(
This morning when they had their warm mash the male would eat and occasionally close his eyes like it was sheer bliss.
The enthusiasm with which eclectus eat is just one of the many things I find so endearing about them. I can't believe anyone would deny them such happiness and basic care needs. :mad:
Today they will get their first real baths and toe nails trimmed, there is no way I can wait on that. Wish me luck and no blood or finger loss.:eek:

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Awww, poor babies! I don't know their history but it sounds like they were rescues? Please share their story?

And pics! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What was she feeding them before? Just seeds? I bet they feel like they are in heaven now. Poor babies, to just now know what good food is like:(

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Yes just seed and from the looks of it the cheap stuff from Walmart. The food bowls looked as if they had never been washed and the water was really disgusting including shreds of wee wee pad soaked in the water! (that's what she had used to line the bottom of the cage.)

The warm mash has been a big hit and the fresh sprouts this afternoon sent them into making little happy num num noises!

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I really wish I knew how to take video and up load it I would love for everyone to hear the noises they make while eating. Little coos, so cute. The male took a soaked almond from me.:D
I am used to the happy sounds my others make while eating, most of them actually say yummy or yummy breakfast, but hearing it from these two makes me what to jump up and down for joy and cry for them at the same time!

In case anyone is wondering I buy raw almonds, soak them over night and then dehydrate them. This makes them much more digestible for both people and parrots, and they taste better too!

WARNING...Talking birds will tattle. Apparently she wasn't as refined as she tried to come off because one of them clearly just said "shut the F up" as the sun is getting lower today they are chatting quite a lot. I have heard hello, what are you doing, their names and kissing noises. I never tell mine to shut up so I am a little sad that they say this. I always say "my that was loud, or inside voices if you please".

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WARNING...Talking birds will tattle. Apparently she wasn't as refined as she tried to come off because one of them clearly just said "shut the F up" as the sun is getting lower today they are chatting quite a lot. I have heard hello, what are you doing, their names and kissing noises. I never tell mine to shut up so I am a little sad that they say this. I always say "my that was loud, or inside voices if you please".

BAHAHAHAHHA....Miss Fancy Pants with her manicured pooches had a potty mouth!

As for video, many of us upload onto YouTube, then link to it. But you can also upload onto Photobucket and share the link. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Hahahaha!!! Check out the potty mouth on Miss Priss! Smh. And you know how parrots LOVE picking up on the wrong things, so prepare yourself for the possibility of waking to a six bird chorus of F bombs in the morning! (Hope it doesn't happen, but you've just GOT to record it if it does!) :p

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Yes I did contemplate that inevitability and hope mine do not pick it up, they are as quarantined as I can manage until results come back but they can still hear each other. I only heard that the one time so far so hopefully that will drop from their vocabulary, I won't hold my breath though.:p

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Remember me saying that she pretty much admitted to hating the boy? Well today clear as a bell he said "Rotten F-er" poor boy, I just can't imagine saying that to one of my fids anymore than I would have said that to my human son! So I'm now certain the F bomb will make it's way around the group, though I hope not.:(
The good news is the third time I reached in to pry him out of the cage today he stepped right up onto my hand.:D I didn't keep him out long because he starts leaning his body forward toward the direction of the cage and since the room they are in is quarantine. I can't really get him in another room where he can't see the cage. Test results should be back soon though, can't wait!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow. What a miserable woman she is. How often must she have cursed those poor birds out? They've picked up at least two F-bomb phrases from her? Unbelievable.
Hope the test results give you the all clear, Labell. These birds are going to flourish under your care.

Most Reactions