LOVING this!!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Okay, as it's Mother's Day, I think I can be given a pass on bragging about both my feather-kid and my real kid.

My daughter loves animals (she gets it mostly from me!) but, isn't always the best at doing things correctly. She unknowingly scared the life out of poor Loki and as a result, she can't do anything for or with him, not even feed him a treat (it's improved, they can now be on the couch together if Hubs or I are there and he'll occasionally run over to nibble on her hair).

Sugar, is a completely different bird. She loves attention, and pretty much doesn't care who gives it to her (she doesn't scream 24/7 for it either, or really, much at all just for attention). She doesn't bite and even when she does, Loki's bites are 10000x's worse (I'm sure she could really take a chunk out if she was scared or inclined enough). Because of this, we've slowly been allowing our daughter to do things with her. She can get Sugar to step up for her, on to her arm (her hand is waaay too tiny), she can help me feed her and change her water. Yesterday, she sat on the couch for a good 20 minutes, just giving Sugar scratches and rubs. She is LOVING this and so are we!! Honestly, that's probably the best Mother's Day present I could get. :D

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
That's great! I love seeing our kids interact with the birds. We got our 2 year old a little stuffed bird that chirps and he tries getting it to perch on his finger. Kids and birds are amazing together :)

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
She's now been asking if she can have a bird of her own. I don't know if this is in place of the fish tank she's been asking for, for the last two years, lol. I told her she's not old enough but she can keep helping me with Sugar ;)

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
I say brag away....my 4.5 year old Giovanni..."Gio" is my right hand in taking care of Charlie our Wheaten and will be included in everything with Chico our soon to be new baby goffin. I think the more informed they are the better. I showed Gio photos of Cockatoo bites and we go over the rules daily about no shoulder, and bad foods, and using bottled water, and keeping bathroom doors closed. We are looking at a take home date of August 1st so he should be good and ready.

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I say brag away....my 4.5 year old Giovanni..."Gio" is my right hand in taking care of Charlie our Wheaten and will be included in everything with Chico our soon to be new baby goffin. I think the more informed they are the better. I showed Gio photos of Cockatoo bites and we go over the rules daily about no shoulder, and bad foods, and using bottled water, and keeping bathroom doors closed. We are looking at a take home date of August 1st so he should be good and ready.

That's awesome! Yeah, my Zoë feeds our dog and takes care of her Russian Tortoise, Deemer. She's 7, so she's able to handle a bit more responsibility. I told her that maybe after we're finally settled (we're moving out of state), and she's a couple years older, we'll look in to something for her if she's still interested.

Happy Mother's Day to you Katherine!

Thanks Tracy!! :D

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Awww that is so cute :). Kids faces light up when a bird steps up on them , lol.
I love to witness that first time kids hold a bird , it's so magical :)
Keep telling us how your daughter is doing with Sugar Katherine , everybody with kids that are learning to care and hold a bird. This is our future generation of caretakers for our beloved birds. We need to teach them right and help them pass it on.

Most Reactions