Lucky will not eat veggies

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
She loves bananas, and apples. She will eat rice, and corn, but that's about it.

We also give her rowdybush.

I am afraid she may not be getting enough iodine.

We have tried mashes, she won't eat them.

She also will not eat berries, or grapes. Sometimes I think she does not bright colors in her food.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Have you tried greens and carrots/beets chopped fine, either by hand or a food processor? It usually takes quite a while for picky birds to eat greens, but the trick is to offer them daily in the same spot every day no matter what. Maybe remove the millet if they have anything so they'll be more inclined to try it. Morning is the best time. You generally have to throw out a lot until they finally catch on, but they usually do. Good luck. :)
Ps. Sprouting in a jar is really easy and they usually eat those because the sprout is in the seed bursting out, so visually it looks like there's a lot of seeds but they're really sprouts. Lots of info online about it, it's super-easy.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I also like to put sprigs of herbs in Rio's food, stems and all. She likes to pick them out and hold them with her foot to eat it. Today it's rosemary, it smells divine.

I found out she liked herb by chance. I was out running errands with one day when I realized I still needed to go to the store. So off to Trader Joes we went! She sat in the cart, it was the cutest thing, being all quiet and just looking around. So I picked up some thyme and put it in the basket. She seemed very eager to investigate so I allowed it. She grabbed a small bunch and sat there eating it as we placed more items in the basket. So now I will add a small sprig to her feed bowl.

JadeB

Jul 24, 2013
AZ
Parrots
Rico, Chiquito, Taco - lovebirds
Walterbyrd-
I also have this problem. It feels like I have offered my lovebirds EVERYTHING - oranges, grapes, peaches, figs, green beans, corn, carrots, broccoli, even plain bread and Cheerios!

They love millet and will occasionally eat sprouts.

Thanks to Kalidasa - maybe I will try same spot, every day. I usually only offer something once and if they don't try it, I don't offer it again. Maybe that is my problem.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I can only reliably get Kenji and Rosie to eat their veggies by feeding a chop mix. I use quinoa, veggie infused pasta,barley, and a bean mix, then add lots and lots of finely chopped veggies.

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
Basil will eat some green veggies (cooked peas, raw broccoli, occasionally raw kale) but I've had no luck getting him to eat any oranges veggies or fruit of any kind. I've chopped and mashed and stuck millet seeds to entice him. He cannot be fooled into trying something new. Fussy birdie. At least he's eating his greens. The rest of his diet is Harrison's pellets and millet for treats. Sunflower seed bits are for training only.

Most Reactions

Latest posts