Lunging parrotlet

mishykinz

Jan 18, 2011
MD
Parrots
Blue pacific parrotlet (male) - Bb.
Pineapple Green-cheek conure (female) - Tali.
Lately my parrotlet has gotten into the habit of lunging at fingers. When you go to offer your finger for him to step up, he will lunge and nip (and then step up). Or if you go to pet him or even have your fingers near him, he will lunge and latch on. Usually it doesn't hurt, but lately it seems he's been biting much harder - no blood drawn yet, but he leaves marks. He just went to the vet a few days ago and all was well. So I don't understand. He still steps up, and still loves to be scratched on the head and neck, but he always precedes it with the lunging and nipping. He's been doing it to everyone, not just me. It's getting to the point where we can't have him out of the cage for more than 10 minutes at a time because he's so bad at going for your fingers.

We don't know his EXACT age, the rescue put him around 3-6 months. Could he be reaching sexual maturity? Or is he just being a pain? And how should I remedy this? Usually I ignore it, but should I start putting him back in his cage every time he does it?

Last edited:

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
I had the same problem with my parrotlet. It really did seem as though it came from nowhere, one minute she'd be out and happy, the next she's attacking fingers! She eventually grew out of it (somewhat - she was always a bit bitey but mostly fine to handle). I just tried to be consistent in not reacting, offering biting alternatives (paper, food etc), and sometimes putting her back in her cage or onto a table. I don't know if I can offer any insight into why they do it, I thought that because I had mine from a petstore years ago she had picked it up as a habit. I was also not the most successful person in curtailing the habit either so perhaps someone else has even better advice! I am finding that my green cheek takes to training better than my parrotlet did but maybe its experience on my part or just different birds react differently.

OP
mishykinz

mishykinz

Jan 18, 2011
MD
Parrots
I've been told that parrotlets as a rule are pretty mouthy, but it's that darn lunging that irritates me. I have tried redirecting his attention to other things to chew on, but it honestly seems like he prefers flesh! If you stick your hand inside your sleeve, he determinedly tries to find your hand under there; if it's just an empty sleeve he has no interest. Same with socks; he likes them better if there's a foot in there!

Last night every time he nipped or lunged we put him back in his cage for a few minutes. That seemed to help a bit. He eventually got tired of being put in his cage over and over. *lol*

I'm hoping once we get a play gym for him he will get better, too.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
My girl went through this too.

The answer came to me in an article I read.

Some parrots just love the feel of flesh rolling around in their beaks!!!!!

Bearing this in mind I just treated the situation like any other and reverted to using "no bite".

If your baby is only 3-6 months though, bear in mind that birds of this age use their beaks to test surfaces for safety before they step up. It sounds to me as if your lil one is doing the same as Cal did. Began to use their beak for this purpose and then found flesh was fun!

If you only offer step up by gently putting your finger directly above the feet, your baby will automatically step up. When your boy goes towards your finger while perched with that glint in his eye, tell him no bite. It's not actually a bite, I know, but I found if I treated it as if it was, it was just as effective!

Think of ironing out all these small details as instilling manners into a child and you won't go far wrong lol.

Good luck!

OP
mishykinz

mishykinz

Jan 18, 2011
MD
Parrots
Ah yes he definitely uses his beak to step up. I've never tried telling him no though since I've never really had to in the past. I will try telling him no whenever he does it. Funny how some solutions are so obvious! Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts