macaw likes the window

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello all..

fargos being a perfect little boy except with the window..
when he is in his cage its open and can see out, but he doesnt really care, he just sits on his perches and plays with all his toys..
when he is out, i have to cover up the window with a curtain otherwise he gets obsessed with it and just stands there tapping his beak against it and try to walk through it... if it is closed he will play on his gym and such.
i would hate if he flew into it !

i understand he wants to see out and such, but safety is my main concern, and could he get stressed trying to get out into the open..

i have only had him for almost 3 weeks, so i know he wouldnt be fully settled..

so do i leave it open or closed when he is out, until he is perfectly comfortable with his environment ?

i see birds on this forum who are perfectly fine with the window and will sit nicely on their stand and not want to escape.. will this be him when he is settled?

he is making excellent project with his harness, when he first came he flew away at the sight of it.. now he lets me rub and drape it all over his neck and back :) so he will be out and about soon!

as i was writing this i had left the window a quarter open.. he seems to of calmed down and is now sitting on my chair with his foot toys not interested in the window!!?! :)

thanks
:blue1:

Pwr_wrx

Sep 26, 2012
Flower mound
Parrots
2 cockatiels & a B&G Macaw
Maybe he is just playing with the window? my macaw likes to tap his beak on the mirror and play...maybe they like the sound of tapping...i dunno

how did u get ur bird used to the harness? I put mine around his cage so he can get used to it and now the harness has disappeared! dont know where it went :confused:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
mmm maybe. he is getting better, I open it up further each day so now he isn't as obsessed haha Fargo loves mirrors too! :)

well he was literally petrified, so for the first 2 weeks I just had it hanging in different parts near his cage.. then one night we were sitting on the bed, and I had it in my lap, and he was very cautious, but he slowly came over when I held out a nut.. so I did this just getting him to walk closer to me and then walking over the harness.. then he wasn't as scared, so while he was eating his nut I slowly just rubbed a bit of the harness on his neck.. and then his back..
these were only 5 min sessions each night.. a week later he put his head through a big loop to get a nut :) he flies away if I move it suddenly though.

haha the disappearing harness!! :p

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Tab, when you said you left it partially open, I'm assuming you meant with the drapes, right?

Anyway, I don't think he's obsessed with it, I think he's really interested in how come there's this "clear" thing preventing him from discovering what's behind it. :) I'm sure in time he'll learn that this "clear hard thing" (window) won't bother him anymore.

You're doing it quite smartly by covering it partially, and allowing him to discover and learn that way.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
yes partially the drapes :)
he is getting alot better since i posted this.. i open it further every day, still have the fly screen bit of it covered, but he doesnt sit next to it anymore :D just sits on me! hahah :p

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Flyscreen? One time I forgot to move Niko's playtree away from the window, and guess what? In a matter of seconds he tore up the screen. Rip - tear - repeat. :eek: Thank God I knew where we had extra, cause I did NOT want to hear it from my hubby if he would have ever found out. :21: My windows are cranks (casement windows), so the screen is on the inside. Lesson learned.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
dads ordered the special screen stuff for my window.. but that doesnt arrive for a week or 2, so when he is out the window part is half closed, then have curtain draped over the opened bit incase he tries to fly through it.. :p but he knows not to go over the covered side of the window.. ;)

hahahahah very lucky you had an extra! :p
i couldnt imagine what a macaw beak could do to the fly screen.. my little quaker chewed a hole through mine, was surprised he didnt just crawl through it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts