Macaw needs a cage!

Lilytahlia

Apr 6, 2019
Media
Parrots
B&G macaw (Santiago)
Budgie (blue)
Hi everyone, I recently got a macaw who has been living in a plexiglass pen with a homemade standing perch for the past twenty one years. He has trouble turning around in it so I took of two of the sides which helped but I still can’t stand it. My dad and I were going to build him a four by eight cage but it’s nearly impossible to find 1 in by 1 in non galvanized/pvc coated fencing so I’ve been looking at aviaries to put indoors and haven’t found one that I trust yet. My budget is $500 maybe more, if anyone knows where to buy safe fencing or a nice aviary/large macaw cage, him and I would highly appreciate it!
- Lily and Santiago

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
If you want prefab cages (rather than DIY build your own) a&e makes reasonably priced aviary cages. Or else if money is no object you can visit customcages.com for suncatcher cages.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
In terms of inches, what are you looking for (width, height and depth). I always like a good research quest lol.

OP
L

Lilytahlia

Apr 6, 2019
Media
Parrots
B&G macaw (Santiago)
Budgie (blue)
In terms of inches, what are you looking for (width, height and depth). I always like a good research quest lol.

I don’t have anything super specific in mind but I’ve been looking at some that are around 80” L 60” W 80” L so anything like that would be great!
I’ve seen some good ones but they don’t have many reviews which makes me nervous.
Thank you so much for helping!

OP
L

Lilytahlia

Apr 6, 2019
Media
Parrots
B&G macaw (Santiago)
Budgie (blue)
Thank you so much to everyone willing to help me and my lovely macaw!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Santiago! If building a DIY cage becomes impractical, might consider used large cages/aviaries. Depending on your location, Craigslist and other sources may be ideal. You'll have to carefully screen them for material quality/safety and cleanliness.

Most Reactions