Macaw or Cockatoo

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
My girlfriend is wanting to get another bird. She has experience with birds and will have it out alot. She is debating on either a cockatoo or a macaw. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? She also would like it to be on her alot. Thanks.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well macaws are loving playful, very outgoing, intuitive, overall they are my favorite species of parrot by far. But they are also testy(they like to test the waters often and enjoy doing it so much they just do the macaw lunge to see what will happen), they are big and very powerful so your macaw may just be warning you but end up taking a nice portion of your skin in return. They tend to be very self sufficient and tend to keep themselves content rather easily. Moderately loud, and there is much more butz I will spare some room for others to give input on macaws.

Ok well cockatoos are problem child's unless raises and given proper manners. They become Velcro birds and then start learning new unwanted behaviors due to this Velcro effect. They are on a much louder plan then a macaw I mean muuuuccch louder. Cockatoos wild vocal screams are just out of this world for someone that has never expirences that before. On Another note they are devoted to there owners, they are very affecionate(this is there downfall though). They are so smart I've honestly never met a smarter bird when it comes to mechanics that isn't a cockatoo other then most blue throated macaws are very mechanical. I know of an umbrella who takes every cage apart he has ever been in, including stainless steel. This is also an issue they must be kept content at all times. My cockatoos are toy machines and destroy them fast as my macaws do t destroy toys as much. Cockatoos must and is mean must have ground rules set or they become issues very quickly. If you raise a cockatoo right you are in for a great friend and treat, but of not you'll have issues. Cockatoos are very entertaining they do some very cool behaviors and love to play as do macaws.

Both have there pros and cons and I only touched on both a little I want to let others have room to add as well. I own a variety of both I have a m2 and medium sulphur and a galah and then multiple macaws and all have there perks and then there not so great aspects.

I'd vote for macaw but I am extremely biased towards them sadly.

OP
C

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
Thanks for the input, I'm going to get an African grey and have studied on them and didn't know much about the others but figured someone on here could steer her in the right direction. Personally I prefer macaws over cockatoos but I've never messed with either and besides its her bird not mine lol

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
My goffin cockatoo was very needy, only liked one person (my father), could be pretty loud, and had a painful bite. As mentioned without an owner who knows what he or she is doing, there will be problems. Larger cockatoos are supposed to be even worse with need for attention, loudness, bites, and behavior issues.
Now that I'm older and choosing a bird for myself I'm getting a Hahn's macaw.

I think macaws are a better choice for people with moderate experience and cockatoos can be great for an advanced keeper. There are always exceptions though.

fishstick600

Dec 8, 2012
I bought a cockatoo as my first bird..I love him but should have read more lol. He is extremely loud when a lot of people are around and needs a lot of attention. He is very affectionate and like the previous post extremely smart. They need to be put on a set schedule and kept on it if you change it they get ticked. Need a large cage and lots of toys..must be kept busy or they will pluck and scream. I love my sydney but he's a handful

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Willie my macaw is very much a one person bird, mine! :)
He can be crazy during his hormone season but overall he's a very good bird, rarely screams. He behaves pretty good too.

We have two Cockatoos, I LOVE Cockatoos!!!! Dixie our Lesser Sulphur Crested is just an Angel that love both of us and either one of us can handle her without issues. She rarely screams, she dance and make funny noises all the time.

Java the Umbrella is the evil one that can't be trusted, he's got emotional issues and won't take no for an answer. He wants to do what he wants to do. He is my bird only as he will attack anyone who gets too close to me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts