Macaw Treats

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
My Macaw died of old age and am looking for a bird. I want to have a smaller one maybe Alexandrine
I am looking for the best treats and food for my 3 month old Catalina Macaw. I don't won't to throw my money away. Also does anyone know where to buy liners for the large corner bird cage?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I use zupreem pellets, mixed with nuts, safflower seeds, soy beans, nutriberries, etc.

They get bits of chicken and fish when I cook that stuff for us.

Lots of vitamin A foods, sweet potato being the all time favorite. You can cook one, and cut it up into cubes, and freeze it, then just nuke a couple of cubes in the microwave each morning - checking the temperature with your fingers - not too hot, or you will burn their crops.

Another nutritious favorite is warm oatmeal, again, not too hot.

Fresh fruits and veggies. Grapes, oranges, banana, apples. Broccoli, peas, corn on the cob, etc.

Expose them to a wide variety of foods when they are young and they will learn to eat just about anything you put in front of them.

OP
J

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
My Macaw died of old age and am looking for a bird. I want to have a smaller one maybe Alexandrine
When should a baby Macaw be weaned? What age should they be eating good to go home to me. My breeder said it was eating banana's and grapes and would like for me to get it tomorrow. Hatched July 7, 2013 What do you think?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My Blue & Gold weaned when he was 4 months old. There is no golden rule as to when they wean. 4 months is the absolute MINIMUM I've ever heard of a big mac weaning. Some require handfeeding much longer than this (6 months). Some even longer!

My breeder allowed me to bring Niko home after he was fully weaned AND maintained his weight for an entire week.

Patience is the name of the game.

Please don't let the breeder talk you into bringing a 3 month old Catalina home. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
4-6 months is about the average.

The thing is, you get a better bird if he is abundance weaned...

And when he does come home, some warm comfort food, given to the bird on a spoon in your lap, like oatmeal or what ever formula he was fed, is a wonderful treat, and bonding experience for both of you. Do it at the same set time every day...

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Harrison's pellets is something I highly recommend. I buy a 5 pound bag of course high potency pellets for only 32 at my local specialty pet store. and lifetime course(what you would feed after using high potency for 6 months) is a little less.

I give my birdies lafeabers treats, my favorite to give is Nutri-an cakes because their lower in fat and lack the molasses that avi cakes have in them. Nuts are also a good treat.

Not everything needs to be bought, making treats is a great money saver.

Most Reactions

Latest posts