Major ( soon)! hurricane taking aim at Florida

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
My good friend evacuated prior to Andrew, and the roads were so clogged they had to ride out the hurricane on the highway,

Terrifying!
My sister said they also mentioned possible tornadoes as well. 😬

Praying for your safety!!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I googled Wilma, because after the hurricane , they retroactively upgraded it to a 5! I thought they had changed it to a 4, but remember when it hit and even after it hit they were saying it was a 3, it was only in taking in all the damage later that they upgraded it. My brother was in the opposite side of the landfall, and had to endure catastrophic damage, and weeks before they even got water.... Sometimes we get immune to the hype, and sometimes it doesn't play out as bad , thankfully, as expected. But when it's a major hurricane , please prepare as though your life depends on it, because it might..

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The media parallels with Hurricane Andrew are not comforting. Hopefully a message to galvanize folks into preparation and not assuming the impact will be easily manageable.

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
LwY2oMG.jpg

Katrina in 2005 was a Cat 5, but they downgraded it to a Cat 3 just before landfall because of the decrease in wind speed. That didn't mean anything, because it still pushed all that water up just as if it were a 5. I seen the pictures of the Tidal Surge coming into St. Bernard Parish, it wasn't a surge, It was a Tidal Wave.... I'm 30 miles from the beach, but between a lake and a River. Katrina pushed all that water back up in the Bayou's and tilted the water in the lake like a pool of water on a saucer swirling around, one day it was high on one edge, and as the storm went by, it shoved all the water into the other side, and all the water in the Bayou's well it shoved that water into our neighborhoods. The drywall in my home marked a watermark of 8 feet. My refrigerator floated to my front door. The ceiling fan blades drooped straight down. When I got through the front door, I was totally overwhelmed at what I was seeing. Of course Fema was on site when they let us back in about 10 days later, and the representative gave a really big effort in saying FEMA would help, and 2 weeks later we all got letters that we didn't qualify for help. lol Allstate was going door to door, if your house flooded, they called it rain damage, or wind damage, they did everything they could possibly do not to pay claims. The agents were literally handing out $3,000 to $5,000 dollar checks if you would release them from any further damages, finally whole neighborhoods hires property damage accessors, and took the insurance agencies to court, then they started crying bankruptcy. Funny they had no issue taking your money, just a problem with paying damages, and they were very open about the fact you would never be insured by them again if you sued them. How our Government Caters to these thieves instead of to the ones who elected them into office is beyond me. In a major event like these, it's nice to see people become neighbors again, and social life become cherished again. Its a shame. During Katrina, I was in the eye of it for nearly 45 minutes as it passed over, Tornadoes were literally touching down all around me, I could hear them, but due to the wind I could not see them, I know there was only one reason I survived. After the storm, I was at my brothers home, where I could see the homes after the storm passed by, The Tornadoes destroyed one home, and left the one next to it untouched. My uncle lives on 5 acres, and on that 5 acres had 150 trees snapped in half. I've never seen anything in my life time like Katrina before, But the mere sounds of a Hurricane coming this way has me in transit. Like I said, I have no idea how I survived Katrina, But I will NEVER give a Hurricane a second chance. Just because those meteorologist say it's a Cat 3 or a Cat 5, Think hard of that wall of water it will be pushing, Between the Water and the Tornadoes that accompany those storms, it's sheer luck, and never ending prayer that will get you through it. Friends of mine from Georgia, and Florida contacted the Red Cross, and had me on a Missing list for at least a month after the storm, we had no cell service, no power, no home phones, no communication with the outside world. Just like those folks that survived Camille said never give it a second chance, I survived Katrina, and I promise you, I'll never give one a second chance. That storm had a life, all of it's own, That storm was premeditated murder. What the Winds and water didn't kill, the Politicians and insurance agents along with suicide finished off. That's all stuff that wasn't reported on the news. Please be careful.... and consider the value of your life. After Katrina, we were well into winter before electricity was restored. Everywhere I looked, were signs that read "You Loot.... We Shoot!" Folks stealing generators in the middle of the night, Of course these are all stories for my Grand Children, but to fix coffee on a BBQ grill every morning, and Hunt the Red Cross truck down to get Ice.... and bottled water. After 2 months, to hear and see a McDonalds open up, only to sell out of food in 2 hours, and mothers and children hungry and crying in the parking lot in todays modern times was a difficult thing to see. But the TV cameras got there initial story then disappeared onto the next story as all this was going on. I'm sure the same thing has happened in parts of Florida during Wilma, Andrew, Ivan so so many more..... But thats when the cameras should be there showing the Humanitarian needs after the storm, The need for the basics of life, even Toilet paper is a luxury when no stores are open. Total apocalypse..... Y'all are in my prayers....

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Casper , thanks for sharing your story. What a terrible thing to go through,,! I really feel for what you went through. I can only agree about the coverage by media...
I forgot that FEMA told us the same thing.....and nobody qualified. It is the city government and state government that get money from FEMA. Insurance companies passed a sneaky law I don't know when, so if it is a named storm you have to pay a huge deductible, for me non named storm is 500, a named storm is 3, 000!!!!
But neighbor helped neighbor , and our community did a lot. I'd ask if you do donation for locoal, as nobody saw the red Cross donation for anything.. that's just my take from what I've seen in action. I'm sure they must do good......we just didn't see it. Our churches in the area did a ton! Also amazing people drive in with chainsaws and helped so many people, others came and set up hot meals, others took donations directly to the people.

Last edited:

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
LwY2oMG.jpg

Katrina in 2005 was a Cat 5, but they downgraded it to a Cat 3 just before landfall because of the decrease in wind speed. That didn't mean anything, because it still pushed all that water up just as if it were a 5. I seen the pictures of the Tidal Surge coming into St. Bernard Parish, it wasn't a surge, It was a Tidal Wave.... I'm 30 miles from the beach, but between a lake and a River. Katrina pushed all that water back up in the Bayou's and tilted the water in the lake like a pool of water on a saucer swirling around, one day it was high on one edge, and as the storm went by, it shoved all the water into the other side, and all the water in the Bayou's well it shoved that water into our neighborhoods. The drywall in my home marked a watermark of 8 feet. My refrigerator floated to my front door. The ceiling fan blades drooped straight down. When I got through the front door, I was totally overwhelmed at what I was seeing. Of course Fema was on site when they let us back in about 10 days later, and the representative gave a really big effort in saying FEMA would help, and 2 weeks later we all got letters that we didn't qualify for help. lol Allstate was going door to door, if your house flooded, they called it rain damage, or wind damage, they did everything they could possibly do not to pay claims. The agents were literally handing out $3,000 to $5,000 dollar checks if you would release them from any further damages, finally whole neighborhoods hires property damage accessors, and took the insurance agencies to court, then they started crying bankruptcy. Funny they had no issue taking your money, just a problem with paying damages, and they were very open about the fact you would never be insured by them again if you sued them. How our Government Caters to these thieves instead of to the ones who elected them into office is beyond me. In a major event like these, it's nice to see people become neighbors again, and social life become cherished again. Its a shame. During Katrina, I was in the eye of it for nearly 45 minutes as it passed over, Tornadoes were literally touching down all around me, I could hear them, but due to the wind I could not see them, I know there was only one reason I survived. After the storm, I was at my brothers home, where I could see the homes after the storm passed by, The Tornadoes destroyed one home, and left the one next to it untouched. My uncle lives on 5 acres, and on that 5 acres had 150 trees snapped in half. I've never seen anything in my life time like Katrina before, But the mere sounds of a Hurricane coming this way has me in transit. Like I said, I have no idea how I survived Katrina, But I will NEVER give a Hurricane a second chance. Just because those meteorologist say it's a Cat 3 or a Cat 5, Think hard of that wall of water it will be pushing, Between the Water and the Tornadoes that accompany those storms, it's sheer luck, and never ending prayer that will get you through it. Friends of mine from Georgia, and Florida contacted the Red Cross, and had me on a Missing list for at least a month after the storm, we had no cell service, no power, no home phones, no communication with the outside world. Just like those folks that survived Camille said never give it a second chance, I survived Katrina, and I promise you, I'll never give one a second chance. That storm had a life, all of it's own, That storm was premeditated murder. What the Winds and water didn't kill, the Politicians and insurance agents along with suicide finished off. That's all stuff that wasn't reported on the news. Please be careful.... and consider the value of your life. After Katrina, we were well into winter before electricity was restored. Everywhere I looked, were signs that read "You Loot.... We Shoot!" Folks stealing generators in the middle of the night, Of course these are all stories for my Grand Children, but to fix coffee on a BBQ grill every morning, and Hunt the Red Cross truck down to get Ice.... and bottled water. After 2 months, to hear and see a McDonalds open up, only to sell out of food in 2 hours, and mothers and children hungry and crying in the parking lot in todays modern times was a difficult thing to see. But the TV cameras got there initial story then disappeared onto the next story as all this was going on. I'm sure the same thing has happened in parts of Florida during Wilma, Andrew, Ivan so so many more..... But thats when the cameras should be there showing the Humanitarian needs after the storm, The need for the basics of life, even Toilet paper is a luxury when no stores are open. Total apocalypse..... Y'all are in my prayers....

Thank you for sharing your story Casper223. Hopefully many in the path of the storm will learn from your experience and act as necessary. Praying for the safety of my Floridian PF family...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
LwY2oMG.jpg

As this Hurricane does what it wishes (in this case, slowing down). It continues to confound the experts and their prediction tools. Earlier, it was predicted to be hitting the coast of Florida today. Now a couple of days from now.
The worst news is that the prolonged time over the Gulf Stream has strengthened it to a Cat 5. That's bad! Plus, its slow movement continues to force water between it and the Florida coastline. At some point, that water will begin to come in land as a Storm Surge.

In the Great White North of Michigan, our smaller airports are seeing the arrival of Florida and States to its North and East based aircraft as their owners search for places to store their aircraft from the Hurricane. That implies that airports to our South are either filled or filling quickly.

Although the Western 1/3 of Florida 'appears' to no longer be a firm target, This storm remains a challenge for Forecasters. Think Safety First!!! Surviving this Storm will require individuals to avoid it!!!

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm stressed. I've been in Florida for 15 years, weathered hurricane and tropical storms.. this one must have very confusing steering conditions.... And the last three years it seems the storms are becoming much stronger...
The Bahamas you are in our thoughts and prayers

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Cat 5 winds 175! Do they need to make a cat 6 a real category?!!?

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
Laurasea, The winds are 175 mph! I explained the other day I survived Katrina, I hate telling that story because I should have watched that storm from 1000 miles away, but I was brave/stupid. A Cat 5 storm takes so much energy to turn, I know they are predicting a turn, all of us on the Gulf Coast know this, and have eyes on it expecting it to come through Florida and into the Gulf, because they don't usually turn at this strength, If it turns it will be a miracle, if it hits head on into Florida, Then let me say it one more time.....Florida will run out of body bags before it runs out of bodies. Grab whatever you can fit in your car and escape NOW..... while you can.... My friends and I all laughed at the approach of Katrina, them saying if you go to the attic bring an axe to cut your way out, we thought they were crazy, all I can say is "I Lived.... I LEARNED" please listen, at least get away from the water, at least 20 miles inland from the St. Johns River, if it turns and goes up the coast then great, but if it doesn't, it will be something you never forget. I can't even put into words the Urgency, or the Grave Danger y'all are in, and the forecasters aren't even doing it justice, a Cat 5 storm is like the hand of God..... RUN....RUN....RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grab your babies and get out of there. I put sandbags all around my house, about 2 feet high, water was 8 feet deep, forget the sandbags, forget all your belongings, grab your babies, your necessities, what you can't live without and will fit in your car and get out of there. Please.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Casper "Cat 5 storm is like the hand of God..... RUN....RUN....RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " That is the truth!!!
I'm very north Florida, we are not forcasted to get a direct hit at this time........@@ I'm watching and my stress has caused my feather picking bird to start plucking..
My good friend has a property in Jupiter FL and he he is urging her to evacuate, I hope she does!!!
I'm 11 miles from the coast but not bear the st John's river St all..
Thank you for sharing, it means all that much more hearing from someone who has gone through it!!
I have food and water for two weeks.
Prayers for everyone in the path. I gotta go work on more prep stuff. Thank you for your support,

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
We’re thinking of all of you in FL - glad you are prepping. I can’t imagine storms like that (I’m on the other coast and we just have earthquakes). Stay safe!

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
Cat 5 winds 175! Do they need to make a cat 6 a real category?!!?

A little tidbit for you..... In 1969, I was 5 years old, and don't remember much. Hurricane Camille made landfall in Waveland Ms. Waveland Ms is a 30 minute drive, however only half that by air. My Mom showed me the front page of The Times Picayune Newspaper a few years after, as she saved it, (New Orleans Based paper) and the Picture was of Camille coming in. Camille at one point prior to landfall, had formed Two (2) eyes, and wind gauges in that time period only registered to 200 mph. Although Camille made Landfall as a Cat 5 with Max Sustained winds of 175, The gusts were well above 200 MPH.

Finally the weather channel is equating Dorian to a 90 mile wide EF 4 Tornado, Thats the best description I could give Camille. Folks on the Mississippi Gulf Coast threw Hurricane Parties.... Camille destroyed the coast. From the beach to where I-10 is is about the same distance as the Atlantic Beach to I-95 to give you some reference, Nothing but concrete slabs were left, what the wind didn't blow down, the Tidal Surge ended on where I-10 is now. Folks from the drunken Hurricane parties, had tied themselves to trees with rope, they were found drowned tied to trees. More surprisingly than the storm, was during the recovery and cleanup phase, More emergency personnel were snake bit from poisoness snakes, than hurt from any other reason. That's a fact!

Katrina was a 3 at Landfall, but carried the storm surge of a 5, The wind was bad, The Tornadoes I will NEVER forget, The flood waters were unbelievable. Ships from the Gulf of Mexico found in the middle of Slidell, Cars floated onto the roof of Two Story homes, well the rest you seen on the weather channel, except they never did show the bodies floating down the middle of neighborhoods, and there were no shortage of them, or all the pets left behind that drowned. I for one admit I was a very angry person after that storm. So if I can possibly give ideas or pointers, I'll gladly do so in hopes of you being alive and safe.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Friends I’m in Columbus, GA. I’ll have a house full of evacuees and can’t take any more humans but if you are evacuating with pets they are welcome to come here. I probably can’t take anymore dogs or cats but if you need a safe dry place for birds or other cage pets they are welcome here and we should be plenty safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Love the community of this forum! Very thoughtful of you SilverSage. Definitely stay safe! I'm sending good thoughts to everyone in the path of Dorian. It seems the west coast of the state, where I'm from, will be unscathed but will have some impact, just not as much. ANYTHING can happen in contrast with the reports and advisories. I remember Irma making a last minute turn. A Cat 1 or 2 with 70+ mph winds still knocked a tree branch into the backyard and destroyed a fence. I remember Ivan and Charlie back in 2004 had more impact here than Irma, ripping the a portion of the patio roof off and tearing a hole in the pool (it was those above ground ones) pouring even more water out.

In the moment it is fun to bake cakes and cookies of hurricanes and have hurricane memes like with Irma, surfing and providing levity but in the serious events of safety it could mean life or death or post-apocalyptic conditions for days, weeks and months.

Stay safe everyone, brace yourselves and this storm too shall pass!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Friends I’m in Columbus, GA. I’ll have a house full of evacuees and can’t take any more humans but if you are evacuating with pets they are welcome to come here. I probably can’t take anymore dogs or cats but if you need a safe dry place for birds or other cage pets they are welcome here and we should be plenty safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Dani and family for the kind and generous offer!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Love the community of this forum! Very thoughtful of you SilverSage. Definitely stay safe! I'm sending good thoughts to everyone in the path of Dorian. It seems the west coast of the state, where I'm from, will be unscathed but will have some impact, just not as much. ANYTHING can happen in contrast with the reports and advisories. I remember Irma making a last minute turn. A Cat 1 or 2 with 70+ mph winds still knocked a tree branch into the backyard and destroyed a fence. I remember Ivan and Charlie back in 2004 had more impact here than Irma, ripping the a portion of the patio roof off and tearing a hole in the pool (it was those above ground ones) pouring even more water out.

In the moment it is fun to bake cakes and cookies of hurricanes and have hurricane memes like with Irma, surfing and providing levity but in the serious events of safety it could mean life or death or post-apocalyptic conditions for days, weeks and months.

Stay safe everyone, brace yourselves and this storm too shall pass!

Well said, Shawn! The PF community is incredibly resilient and supportive!!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The Bahamas have been stuck in that major hurricane for way to long. Gut wrenching! I can't even imagine what it's like, I'm sure they have no way of knowing that it is stationary now......not knowing when it will end...

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I’m hearing that Dorian has been downgraded so hopefully it will stay that way, but such heartbreaking damage done in the Bahamas already, so awful! I experienced a category 3 cyclone (our version of the hurricane, it spins in the opposite direction!) about 30 odd years ago in North Queensland and will never forget it and certainly have no wish to go through one again.

Hope you’re all able to stay safe!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hugs and prayers and love and care going out to all our PF family members in harm's way. I'm holding you in my thoughts nonstop.

Most Reactions