Male Lilac Amazon is Biting His Mate

HenrytheParakeet

Jul 24, 2019
Parrots
Parakeets: Henry, Sammy, Tweety, Petey
Macaws: Magoo, Peggy
Cockatoos: Luke, Lola, Gabby
Amazons: Tommy, Bulldog, Lucy, Bubba, Lila
Our Lilacs are a breeding pair and have been together for years. They are usually fine together but sometimes the male, Bubba, will bite her on the head. They also used to pluck each other's head feathers but are not anymore. We have tried separating them but they both panic and scream. What is causing this and what should we do?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Can you explain more about these “bites”? Are they like vicious, I’m being purposefully mean and trying to draw blood BITES or more the male maybe got a sore pin feather while otherwise nicely preening or gave a little nip or what?

My moms bonded Amazon’s would occasionally either nip or try to preen a pin feather that wasn’t ready off each other and one would make a big old noise like they’d been savagely attacked:rolleyes: and get all offended but they weren’t actually biting each other. They also used to get in “arguments” on occasion where there’d be open beak and flared wing/tail posturing and intimidation, but again, never any truly harmful behavior towards each other. Paired parrots are like paired humans, they occasionally do have disagreements. That doesn’t necessarily mean they should be separated unless they are attacking/injuring each other and if they aren’t hurting each other, separating a bonded pair can be extremely distressing for the birds.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm not a breeder, but I am reader..one thing I read is that breeding birds that are doing this need more activity that's not breeding activity. Like foraging, puzzles, more exercise. So if they are in a flight cage give them more reason to use Evey inch of space, spread out food, water, toys, forage areas, bathing splash area. If not in a flight cage you might figure out a way to give them more room. They need more to do than focus all their attention on eachother. If they don't get to spend time outdoors, consider giving them that amazing experience to feel the breeze and use their outstanding eyesight in gazing far, and the colors of nature. Unbelievably improves mood and feeling of wellbeing.

OP
H

HenrytheParakeet

Jul 24, 2019
Parrots
Parakeets: Henry, Sammy, Tweety, Petey
Macaws: Magoo, Peggy
Cockatoos: Luke, Lola, Gabby
Amazons: Tommy, Bulldog, Lucy, Bubba, Lila
Thank you for the replies. We have an outdoor aviary that can play in and can have them in it more often. Also, yes, the attacks seem vicious. She will yell and move away from him. Sometimes he chases after her.

Most Reactions