Man I wish I had the money

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
I went to a local petstore(not petsmart or petco...) and to my complete surprise, there was a B-E-A-UTIFUL lori!!!! But not to my surprise it was $999.99 Cdn... If I had the money, I would have bought the biggest cage possible and as many toys as would be humanly possible... WWAAAAAHHHH I wan't it!!!

ill get pics up ASAP

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
OMG I know the feeling so well, there was a CAG in my local pet shop (where I bought Beau) on Friday this was the sign on his cage "hello my name is Milo, I am 12 months old and quite talkative, I am still at the Ark due to health issues but have now had a clean bill of health from the vet" He was £550 and I found it difficult to leave that shop without him :(

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
In my local pet store, there's a fancy green cheek conure. He was the only one not afraid of me. I wanted him so bad. His name was Rascal and he was perched on my finger. If only I had the money :(

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
$999.00! Oh my goodness, I have hundreds of lori'sflying around here daily and in the early morning and evening the noise can be deafening! Even a hand raised lori in a pet shop here is around $150.00 AUD.

Galah's, Cockatoo's and Lori's would be the cheapest parrots here on the other hand a Major Mitchell would be one of the dearer toos at around $400.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
No wonder we are called "bird crazy people"
Almost every bird we see we want.
So sad to see them sitting there week after week. :(
My kids try avoid the situation, where I would see these birds.
I want to take them all in my care.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
That's funny, I was at a bird store just today.

I generally don't like to pay attention to birds in a petstore, due to how it makes my stomach turn seeing how poorly taken care of they are.

This store was different. It was HUGE, full of very healthy and lively birds, and the people who worked there knew what they were doing. All the birds were healthy and happy (with the exception of one bird-- but that's out of an entire store). There was a sweet Blue and Gold Macaw sitting on a perch, waiting to be picked up. I was so tempted to ask about holding him, but the cashier was working with another customer. He bobbed his head, and gave me a little 'baby face'; my heart just melted :(. I wanted him, but of course; this isn't the right time.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
lol...be careful what you wish for, though Lori's are very beautiful they are also very messy especially when kept indoors, can also be pretty loud with their very shrill chatter......

OP
boabab95

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
Oh I don't care about the mess, the house is also loud enough to almost mask the lori's screeching...

I generally don't like to pay attention to birds in a petstore, due to how it makes my stomach turn seeing how poorly taken care of they are.
Same here, but my sister wanted to see the puppies and it was on the way... this store does care for their animals well though...

$999.00! Oh my goodness, I have hundreds of lori'sflying around here daily and in the early morning and evening the noise can be deafening! Even a hand raised lori in a pet shop here is around $150.00 AUD.

Galah's, Cockatoo's and Lori's would be the cheapest parrots here on the other hand a Major Mitchell would be one of the dearer toos at around $400.
you guys down under are lucky... you wake up to wild lori's, galah's, tiels, etc... the only "talking" bird we have in canada is the mocking bird...and they're rare, so they're kinda really is no talking birds, let alone parrots...

I know around here macaws are usually around $7000 CAD ($7,759.26 AUD, $6,780.19 USD)and my conure was like $600-800.
I wish Galahs were cheap here... I would LOVE that!!!

Last edited:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Lol... I know the feeling of wanting to take all the birds in the shop home. I saw a lori in a pet shop the other day, he was the cutest little thing. I have heard that they are very messy pets though.

I have hundreds of lori'sflying around here daily and in the early morning and evening the noise can be deafening!

Tell me about it, those lori's are noisy little buggers lol. Nothing compared to the flock of Sulphur Too's out front though....man they can chat up a storm and they start at the crack of dawn. I call them 'flying alarm clocks':D

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Wow, a MM 'too for $400AUS? They're several thousand here in the US. Just shows that location is everything.

I see so many birds that I'd love to have, but since I've found my bird limit, I'm really not that tempted any more. Weird. Now, if I could hand-pick the perfect home for each of them - every one of my friends, family and co-workers would have one or two.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Oh I don't care about the mess, the house is also loud enough to almost mask the lori's screeching...

Same here, but my sister wanted to see the puppies and it was on the way... this store does care for their animals well though...

you guys down under are lucky... you wake up to wild lori's, galah's, tiels, etc... the only "talking" bird we have in canada is the mocking bird...and they're rare, so they're kinda really is no talking birds, let alone parrots...

I know around here macaws are usually around $7000 CAD ($7,759.26 AUD, $6,780.19 USD)and my conure was like $600-800.
I wish Galahs were cheap here... I would LOVE that!!!

WOW! for that kind of money you could have a Hyacinth Macaw, average price from a breeder for a still handfeeding B&G macaw is about $600 USD $800 weaned, to bad your not closer, I could stand to be one less Galah.....lol

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The moral of this story is not to look at them in the stores. They are there for impulse shoppers. Is selling birds in a store any different than selling the puppies in a store from the mills? There are bird mill breeders also so we should be very careful.

OP
boabab95

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
WOW! for that kind of money you could have a Hyacinth Macaw, average price from a breeder for a still handfeeding B&G macaw is about $600 USD $800 weaned,

Ya, it's way over priced... even the Congo African Grey are like $6000 at petsmart... It's rediculous.

to bad your not closer, I could stand to be one less Galah.....lol
And I wouldn't mind having a galah...lol

MustardGas

Aug 20, 2010
Ya, it's way over priced... even the Congo African Grey are like $6000 at petsmart... It's rediculous.

Really? My store sold a CAG for less than $1000 and I'm in Vancouver.

parrotguy12

Aug 19, 2010
Media
Parrots
American Yellowface parrotlet "paquito"
Green IRN "Georgey"
2 budgies "lemon" and "sky"
i know in my local petshop there was a nice and very good looking Amazon and the pice was $550 and i was like that 2, if only i had the money i wouldve bought him and everything for him

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
I know how it feels, I want a macaw so bad but I just don't have the room or the time, I just started a new job and I work 3pm-12am and I have to leave my house at 11am to get there by 2 and eat.
My 2 parrots are staying with my g/f and her green cheek.

Jessica M

Aug 28, 2010
Florida
Parrots
I'm trying to find the right parrot for me
lol i agree with you,but i found a green cheek conure that i want from a breeder the prices at petsmart are ridiculous.I have enough money to buy the bird just not the cage yet so i have to wait sadly.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I know why I do not earn a large salary, or live on a large property.
If I had the above mentioned I would have one of every bird species in the world living with me.

bc4.gif

Most Reactions

Latest posts