Mango and his aviator harness

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A healthy bird can handle cold temperatures just fine for short periods of time. If acclimated, these parrots can endure living outside during the winter with no harm.

There are wild quakers in New York and Chicago... Mitred conures in New York. Cherry head & mitred conures in and around San Francisco. These areas can get below freezing and even get snow!

Parrots can't catch a human cold, so cold temperatures will not harm them unless you take a parrot acclimated to indoor temperatures outside for long periods of time without a way to keep warm. Only then will you run into issues.

(I also do not believe that a draft is going to kill a *healthy* bird!)

6fa4e510.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13XmlniLKd4]Charlie Flying Outside - YouTube[/ame]​

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Georgie's "hatchday" was in February, and if it was nice out, i would sometimes take her outside for a few minutes, for some photos, etc on her day. She was fine! :)
Now a sick bird....obviously i would never put them in a cold temp.....

And i also liked the dvd that came with the aviator. Gilbert and i did those exercises with the wing up and count to three, other wing, count....he did great too.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Just a thought, why don't Amazons have a more northerly range if they can tolerate cold temps?

At one time they were native to the SW USA. And Carolina Parakeets darked the sky. Some zons live at high elevation in their home range and can take surprisingly cooler temps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts