Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
When we cut wood around here, a lot of it is manzanita wood. It's beautiful stuff, so I've been cutting off pieces, sanding down points and making some lovely perches thinking the local pet shops in our closest city, might be interested. I've done a few phone calls, no one is interested. My daughter thinks I need to bring them in and show them. Which I'll have to agree, until you see them, you cannot appreciate them.

Would any of you like to try them out? If you want to pay for shipping, I wouldn't charge for the perch itself. Just looking for some feedback. I'm working on developing my camera to computer skills so I can post some photos.

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

I'll be able to post photos by early next week. I have to get to the city to get a new chip for my camera. Manzanita is a beautiful dark, maroon red wood that I know is safe for parrots. Research if you like. It has lots of bends and crookedness to it.

They have a screw, nut, washers and bolt to attach to side of cage. I have different lengths and diameters. They really are quite beautiful. I'm only willing to send about 6-8 out, so let me know if you are interested after seeing photos. I'm not looking to go into business here on parrotforum, just looking for some feed back. Maybe e-bay them someday.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
It's a very hard wood, so great for birds that like to chew on their perches. It is a bit on the slick side though. I use it a lot for Rowdy, who will gnaw through her perches and then go falling to the bottom of the cage with them.

Mare, I may have you make one for Pete that is a bigger diameter than his main perch is now.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*

I would love to see some pictures too !

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

Sounds good Roxy, after I post some photos just let me know length and/or width of cage, which ever direction you plan on going with it. And, again...I'm not selling them, just looking for feedback.

nikkiscriv

Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Yoshi - Blue Front Amazon, Ozzy - Illiger's Macaw
Oh this sounds fantastic! I love the more natural perches - I'm definitely interested in one. :)

OP
Mare Miller

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

It's a very hard wood, so great for birds that like to chew on their perches. It is a bit on the slick side though. I use it a lot for Rowdy, who will gnaw through her perches and then go falling to the bottom of the cage with them.

Mare, I may have you make one for Pete that is a bigger diameter than his main perch is now.

I've used oak a lot in Amigo's cage and yes, within a short amount of time, he chews through and crashes. I like manzanita not only for it's beauty but it's durability. I still like to keep the oak for munchies sake!

Most Reactions