Mark is gone

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
We got to have one last night with Markie, but she woke up this morning having a tough time breathing and getting around.

When the vet let her come home yesterday, he was sure there was some underlying heart condition going on, and we felt ok with that conclusion.

So this morning, when we saw that Mark wasn't going to settle down after a little more rest, we took her to the emergency vet. She went fast, and it feels better knowing she's not suffering.

We had 20 years together and they were good ones.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

You know we are all here if you need to talk.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
I'm so very sorry for your loss :( its tough to lose one.

Though I'm not native American, they have a belief that all animals you interact with in life, will meet up with you upon passing... they get to decide your fate...

I hope that this is true, because I can't wait to see the pets I've lost, and get to be reunited with them :)

I truly believe that when a pet dies, we will see them again... no matter what a persons beliefs are..:cool:

OP
NWQuakers

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
On our way to the vet this morning we passed a bald eagle that had landed on the roadside to check out some breakfast. That seemed like a message.

Mark cuddled the whole time, even though that wasn't her usual way. I think she just wanted comfort, and I hope that's what we gave her on her way to whatever comes next.

We buried her next to 2 of our kitties, under an old growth fir tree in our backyard.

I think Lucky got the hang of Mark not being here after the 2 weeks Mark was at the vets. Lucky was really upset this morning, throwing things around and yelling. She must have known Mark was in real distress. This afternoon Lucky let me pick her up & scratch her head for the first time without biting or freaking out.

This is going to be hard, but it helps knowing Mark is done being old and sick.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Only another bird guardian can know the impact that losing one of our angels can have. I share your pain & grief.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
I am sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort in knowing that you did the best you could for Mark. Your bird was well-loved and I know you will see each other again.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
So sorry for your loss. Mark had a good long life with you and was very much loved, and will always be with you in your heart and your memories.

OP
NWQuakers

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
I really appreciate all the kind words here.
Mark isn't the first loved critter we've lost, and won't be the last, but that doesn't mean we loved her any less.

It helps to share with other birdy people though. Too many people don't understand how emotional birds can be. I remember so many times when Mark tried to comfort me when I was sad or not feeling well. I hope I did the same for her last days with us.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am so very sorry! No doubt in my mind that Mark felt at ease and VERY much loved while she transitioned over to the other side.

HUGS to you. :(

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I am so sorry for your loss

OP
NWQuakers

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
I will be glad when my memories of Mark are no longer 'attached' to our last time together, and more about all the good times over the years. I don't want to keep replaying the last ride to the vet and saying goodbye. I want to remember Mark as healthy and interacting with us all.

I know that comes with time.

Thanks again for all the kind words and good thoughts. It means a lot.

OP
NWQuakers

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
I think I figured out another part of what's "wrong".
I've been on alert mode so long, it's like I still half expect a call from the vet or an update from my partner. Now we're just 'done'. No more crisis.

My grandmother went into her final decline about the same time Mark did, and even though I didn't go see her before she died, the stress on my family rippled through my household with that too. And being at the memorial gathering, sharing sympathies and memories of my grandma, all the while worrying about Mark, was tough.

It also seemed that many friends and acquaintances lost loved ones around the same time. Just a muzzy chunk of grief on the calendar. I'm sure spring time will help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts