May Be Adopting A Blue Crown Conure - Want To Know More About This Breed!

sunblaze

Jul 10, 2014
Brecon Beacons National Park (Wales)
Parrots
Merlin - Sun Conure
Albus - Blue Crown Conure
i have a blue crown and a sun conure and the blue crown (Albus) is by far the most chilled out of the two, and while he is louder than my sun (Merlin) he isn't half as noisy or shrill, his call has more of a "honk" to it than the harsh "scree scree" my sun can produce.
I'd also like to add a warning about the beak which is formidable but as you have macaws i'm sure your capable of handling it. =) A very nice choice of bird indeed.

Last edited:
OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I often wonder how they compare to suns. So thanks for the insight. He has quite them pointy beak at the moment but it seems to have already dulled a little since we brought him home. He found a wood toy he loves to chew on! :D He bites but is not a serious biter. Nothing too bad. Although I don't give him reason to give me a serious bite. LOL!

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I was told by my former vet in Florida that blue crowns can develop a thin and pointed beak as a tool for the foods they eat in the wild. Both of mine can get thin points. So thin that they will snap off the tips occasionally. Lots of woods and stuff to chew on so I always assumed that she was correct.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Gil also gets that very sharp point. (Annually at his vet visit I have it filed a little. Makes him look like a baby. Aw). Even without biting that point can hurt from just climbing on me.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I was told by my former vet in Florida that blue crowns can develop a thin and pointed beak as a tool for the foods they eat in the wild. Both of mine can get thin points. So thin that they will snap off the tips occasionally. Lots of woods and stuff to chew on so I always assumed that she was correct.

Gil also gets that very sharp point. (Annually at his vet visit I have it filed a little. Makes him look like a baby. Aw). Even without biting that point can hurt from just climbing on me.

Thank you both! I didn't know that this was common in Blue Crowns. Makes a whole lot of sense though. I was thinking about having Sidney's filed when I get him to the vet soon. My daughter is a bit shy of allowing him to kiss her because his beak scrapes her lip. It's like a little needle. But she is learning it doesn't hurt all that much.

Most Reactions