MD Bird World?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Does anyone have any experience with this organization? They're really the only place I can find that has peach fronted conures. I'm not going to get one anytime soon I just like to have resources for when the time does come that I'll be able to.

Half Moon Conure Peach Fronted Conure

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I had a terrible experience with them and I would suggest you run run run the other way. I was looking for a bronze wing pionus and they had a very young baby. I went to meet him and he was adorable. He wasn't weaned yet so I put down a deposit. They kept in sporadic touch with me, often after I emailed them to check in, and kept pushing back the date my baby could come home. Finally they admitted that the baby had a neurological problem, couldn't perch and was having trouble feeding. They said I could have him for a discount. I told them I wanted my money back and they refused. I tried to get the money back through my credit card company but my request was declined because they have a "no refunds" policy - which is ludicrous to me when THEY are the ones who could not provide what I purchased - a healthy pionus. I can see not refunding my money if *I* backed out, but to not be able to deliver what I purchased and *still* keep my money is completely wrong and shows what type of people they are, in my opinion.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
How long ago was that? Maybe things are better now.. idk
anyone else have bad / good experiences? They can't really control if a parrot gets a neurological problem or not, but it was completely unfair for them not to refund you :/

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I understand that they bought a canned website to be able to use, but I still do not like the birds been called a product!

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
About 1-1.5 years ago.
I did not blame them for the bird having neurological problems, but for them to keep my money was grossly unfair. The true test of a business's, or person's, character is not how they act when things go smoothly, it's how they act when a problem arises. And M&D Bird Mart, AKA M&D Bird Farm, grabbed the money.

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
My late sun conure had a defective sense of balance and was therefore unable to perch. He was the sweetest bird I've ever had. I'd probably have agreed to take a bird even with that issue, however the feeding is one that suggests that pionus might not be long for this world. Did you explain to the credit card company that they didn't provide what you offered? Because that's not a refund. And if you did tell them that, I would use a different credit card company in the future; it's simply unacceptable that they didn't return your money.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I understand that they bought a canned website to be able to use, but I still do not like the birds been called a product!

What do you mean by canned website?
And yeah, I hate when any animal is called a "product" but I don't think they think of the birds as products instead its just copy and pasted format since all the toys and actual products have the same exact style on their pages. Could be wrong though.

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
What do you mean by canned website?
They bought a pre-made website template with a built-in e-commerce platform, and didn't (possibly couldn't if it's a cheap, shoddily-designed platform) change "product" to "bird."

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I guess that's true but a lot of animal breeders in general use free website platforms or pay a small fee for them as coders can be a bit pricey. Though the MD Bird World looks like a big pet business similar to petsmart just not a chain of stores, so you'd think they'd be able to pay a coder to make a small website :/

Since this place isn't looking to be very trustworthy, does anyone know any reputable peach front conures I could look into?

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
I can't vouch for either of them, but when I was looking around to see if anyone sold austral conures I noticed three places which seemed to get good reviews and had an impressive range of birds; two of them currently have baby peach-fronts.

Birds by Joe in New Jersey is advertising the fact that they're selling the business, so past reviews won't be a reliable indicator very soon, but they have peach-fronts available now.

The Golden Cockatoo
in Florida offers to resell your birds on consignment if you can't care for them, which made me a little bit uncomfortable. It's certainly a way to ensure people don't rehome their birds to bad homes, but I worry it may encourage people who wouldn't otherwise buy birds to do so.

All Beaks Parrot Place
in California doesn't have them at the moment, but might.

Also, I found a place in Illinois which has peach-fronts and good reviews.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I've been to Birds By Joe a couple times and really liked them. Joe is a really nice guy. I believe they may be moving to Florida. But, they will no doubt ship to you.

CeaCea

Jan 23, 2018
Sonja,

My heart really hurts when I read your experience. So much so I created this account just to respond to you.

I found them after a horrible experience I had dealing with people basically running a puppy mill of birds up in New Jersey... aquarium after aquarium full of birds without proper perching for their babies.. Horrific. I have to tell you ---and ANYONE who comes across this--- you were in the right and I can't believe the bank did not refund you. I can see them as a merchant pulling that mess!? I worked in the credit card industry and I don't know WHAT bank did not side on your side but you put money on a bird with the expectation of it being healthy. NO MERCHANT can force you to absorb that cost via supplies vs the bird you originally put a deposit on. If that EVER happens to you again, you fight tooth and nail and the credit card company so that they will force a refund. That is what they should have done. Sometimes it all comes down to giving them all the specifics. Bottom line, you wanted to purchase a healthy bird, not supplies. Never accept being tossed aside. Fight the banks who fight you when you're right... you will prevaiil. Ask me how I know... And if the bank is in question you go to VISA or Mastercard as the case may be to file any additional complains on the bank's management of your dispute.

If I were in your shoes, I would have been very upset and this would not be satisfactory. They did not do the right thing and I feel so horrible for both you who may have begun getting attached and the birds and can't help but wonder what happened to them (to cause it and to their poor little lives)!

I did not find your post until way after I bought a bird with them in Sept 2017. I have to say, luckily that I was very happy with my experience and luckily it worked out but I literally only was there 2 times so I didn't have to deal with them throughout the weaning process enough to judge. My girl seems happy and healthy ----thankfully!

I do understand that the owner did have the BW breeders and they wee overly prolific (perhaps they had too many birds which may have caused an issue) and she ultimately sold the pair to a breeder in the midwest due to not being able to sell the babies. At least that is what she had said.

Anyway I thank you for sharing your thoughts and my heart goes out to those birds and you. I hope you find a BW. Any recommendations of breeders in our area, would also be greatly appreciated for pionus!

I had a terrible experience with them and I would suggest you run run run the other way. I was looking for a bronze wing pionus and they had a very young baby. I went to meet him and he was adorable. He wasn't weaned yet so I put down a deposit. They kept in sporadic touch with me, often after I emailed them to check in, and kept pushing back the date my baby could come home. Finally they admitted that the baby had a neurological problem, couldn't perch and was having trouble feeding. They said I could have him for a discount. I told them I wanted my money back and they refused. I tried to get the money back through my credit card company but my request was declined because they have a "no refunds" policy - which is ludicrous to me when THEY are the ones who could not provide what I purchased - a healthy pionus. I can see not refunding my money if *I* backed out, but to not be able to deliver what I purchased and *still* keep my money is completely wrong and shows what type of people they are, in my opinion.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Hi CeaCea - thanks for your post, and welcome to the forum! I did try to appeal the credit card decision, but they still denied it. So I gave up.
I'm glad you got a healthy bird. We look forward to hearing more about her!

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
We realize this is an older thread from early 2017 but wanted to offer our 2 cents.

Sonja, we are sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them and in the end resulted in no resolution. FWIW, ours was excellent and luckily without any incidents.

We were very impressed with the owner, her shop, staff, birds, quality of knowledge and willingness to help. We visited with several macaws, walked around the shop and and made friends with others in their condos.

Kelly and I slept on it, talked about it, and eventually put a deposit on our Blue and Gold (Arika). When she came up from Florida we were promptly notified and told we could visit. We drove down the next weekend and every weekend after. Every time was an enjoyable experience. We gradually purchased most of her toys and food there. A little at a time on each trip.

Eventually it was time for Arika to come home and she made the 3 hr drive just fine. To this day she is doing great and is an integral part of our family.

Again, we are sorry to hear that your experience was a bad one. Unfortunately it happens almost everywhere. We've learned over the years that some companies are just dishonest / shady and others are fantastic. Some delivered a terrible experience to us while our friends have had excellent luck dealing with the same company.

We wish you and your feathered family all the best.

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Most Reactions