meat eating mccaw

have24paws

Dec 19, 2011
leesburg ga
Parrots
blue and gold mccaw
maggie mae
okay, please nobody yell at me....lol. but does anybody else have a mccaw that loves meat? my husband is a hunter, and when she sees him pull out the cutting board, she knows that there is venison to be had! raw, cooked whatever....she is in there! my husband is very careful, so i dont worry about bacteria and her avian vet has proclaimed this okay, especially since she is so so healthy! that is the only raw meat she gets, but this sweet loving bird will kill you for a piece of sausage...lol. and there is just something not right about a bird breaking a turkey bone (cooked of course) in half and eating the marrow! anybody else have a cannibal bird like me?:blue1:

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
African Grey named Buddy and Marty
re-homed from rescues both are about 5 years old.
My CAGs may be even worse they both love chicken always cooked though it may be the garlic I'm not sure but I can not have chicken unless I share.

Scott

OP
H

have24paws

Dec 19, 2011
leesburg ga
Parrots
blue and gold mccaw
maggie mae
we cant have any meat unless we share! that is the only time that bird gets loud!:blue1:
flo

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You guys spoiled your birds and that's the problem! They get their share but only get it once in awhile. Eating meat is fine in moderation as we feeds ours chicken breast meat.

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
At Thanksgiving when I was grabbing some Turkey for my fids everyone thought I was INSANE ... forcing cannibalism or something.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I love chicken, and Max always get a leg bone, when I have chicken for dinner... Yes, he gets to the marrow straight away... lol

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
My amazons love all of the above mentioned meats and bone and antlers,but several love cooked blue crabs legs,crunch,crunch and have become very adept at opening them up, sort of like eating seeds or nuts.I have noticed that it does give them stinky poo though.

Last edited:
OP
H

have24paws

Dec 19, 2011
leesburg ga
Parrots
blue and gold mccaw
maggie mae
wow, crabmeat......im not sure i love maggie enough to share my crab legs.....lol!

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Mine too. I guess we all just spoil our birds. Cooked Turkey is their favorite then cooked Chicken. I would not feed them raw meat. Just would not take the chance. Best of luck to those who spoil their birds.lol

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
i have only fed chicken, Remington wont touch thebone though, and to be honest it kind of scares me to fed them to him

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Max, Alexandrine, was 'helping' me with some food preparations (for Christmas) yesterday... He just flew down to the kitchen bench, and started by opening the bag of carrots, the bag of bread... While cutting up the chicken to be cooked, he had a taste of the raw meat... Everything I did, he had a taste of....

What really surprised me was that he ate a lot of the tinned makrel - absolutely loved it...

We both had a great couple of hours in the kitchen..

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck loves meat! One time I was eating a cobb salad (before I went veggie), and what did he pick out? A piece of bacon! I usually give him little pieces of chicken when it's around.

To the OP: I don't see a problem with raw meat, but I would be hesitant to use it without sanitizing the piece first. Maybe sear the outside or something. Then again, I don't really know anything about hunting or any of that stuff.

I can totally see Puck going nuts over something like that.

OP
H

have24paws

Dec 19, 2011
leesburg ga
Parrots
blue and gold mccaw
maggie mae
ordinarily i would agree about the raw meat....but considering my hubby does the whole thing, from the woods right to the freezer. i know its good stuff!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I would think it's safer than getting it from a store. E coli contamination happens when the meat comes in contact with fecal matter. I don't know what else that animal could carry, but if it's something you would eat raw yourself (taste aside), then it's probably okay for the bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts