Meet Maverick, our BFA baby!

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
So cute! Love the blue fronts.

I'm in a similar boat. Closing on my first house in July, and a baby bird coming home in August. Exciting times!

Congrats on your new home! Not sure how it has been for you but I can't wait to have the purchasing process behind me as a first timer!!

Excited to get our home settled into and bring our fid home though!!

I am absolutely with you. What a stressful process! My (new) settlement date is 2 weeks from today, as the seller has to install a new water treatment system. Good luck as you finish up the process as well.
I decided to wait on the cage until I move; one less thing to move.

Your baby is looking GREAT. The anticipation is so hard. Is it bad that I'm more excited for my bird to come home than I am for the house? lol

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Good Luck in your new home and also Best of Luck with your very Handsome new Fid...he is Gorgeous...you wont feel the time passing now until its time for him to arrive...I bet your nesting already and gathering lots of partot toys :) ;)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
WOW! Look how big he has gotten! And he's flying too lol. Just curious,are you going to keep him flighted?

I have Amy trimmed late spring,so during the nice weather I don't worry <as much> In the fall I let her arms grow. I don't think she really knows how to fly to be honest. There has been a few times when she was fully flighted in the house and something spooked her and she did jump and flapflapflap but just made it from her roof top to the floor softly.
She has never attempted to zoom around the living room or kitchen. I'm getting a little nervous about BB though. He still hasn't gotten his adult clothes yet but he is constantly flapping his arms! He gets airborne about a foot,runs,flapflapflap..another foot...run...well you get the picture lol.
As soon as he is fully flighted I can see its going to be difficult to keep the little so-in-so down!

Jim

Last edited:
OP
CKP

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
Hahaha little BB does sound like he'll be hard to keep on the ground!

We are undecided on leaving him fully flighted or slipping him. We've been doing some reading but haven't gotten to that chapter yet! The idea of him being able to fly seems really cool, but the safety issue is very concerning. We've discussed possible rules like when he is out in the house one of us need to be holding him or he needs to be back in his cage before we open the sliding door in the back that is near where we plan to put his playstand. The added aspect of training him when it is appropriate to fly and when not (cooking in the kitchen, flying to us when we aren't giving him the attention he demands, etc) is intimidating as well. Any wisdom to share??

I'm honestly not sure which I'm more excited for, the house or the :green:. Good news is we move in early August and will have time to install hardwoods upstairs, paint everything, and settle well before he comes in September. We also have lots of ideas for how our 90 pound german shepherd-chow mutt will respond to a parrot. He loved kittens when my old roommate's cat had a litter and let them climb all in his warm fur, so I'm very optimistic!!

Most Reactions