Meet Molly!

Carlagracie

Sep 8, 2012
Ann Arbor MI
Here is Molly! We went and picked her up today and just got home about 45 minutes ago. We are not sure if its because shes in a new home but she seems to be VERY clingy. She doesnt seem to care who she is by rather its my wife or I but she doesnt like us getting more than 10 feet from her or she climbs down her cage and waddles over to one of us. She has already said hello and laughed at us saying haha. Molly seems to have a wonderful personalty and we are looking forward to watching her grow her feathers back and all the adventures with her. We bought a little bit of seed and a bag of pellets. The pellets are Roudybush brand with no added sugars or colors. We will be feeding her a proper diet of mostly fresh veggies and some fruits. Molly loves to give my wife kisses already so Im sure molly will do just fine.

For a little background on Molly. She was brought into the bird shop where we got her from a little over 3 weeks ago. She was on a seed only diet with no veggies or fruit I was told. She was brought in by a man and from what we were told Molly was very hostile toward her owner. Molly has plucked herself quite a bit but alot of her down is coming back in now. The owner of the bird shop said since she got there he hasnt seen her pluck and her down only started to come back once she arrived there. Molly has been to the vet and had blood work and fecal tests done and she is very healthy 3 year old Vos Ekki. Below are a few pictures of Molly. Let us know what you think about her feathers.

Attachments

• 12-27-12 547.jpg
    12-27-12 547.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 12-27-12 548.jpg
    12-27-12 548.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 12-27-12 549.jpg
    12-27-12 549.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 283

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Sometimes birds pluck when they're bored or jealous... Monte my scarlet will sometimes pluck... he was a lot worse than your bird, when I got him..he was bald on his chest and back...

Good luck..

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Molly is beautiful, and THANK YOU for giving her a good, loving, and caring home. :) Looks like her feathers are growing in really well, too.

AAAWWW, so you think she's never had a bath? Poor girly! I'm sure she will get used to them quickly, and then she will learn to LOVE them. :)

Very pretty Vos girl!!!! :D

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Aaaaaawwwww, what a shame. I know the feeling, Mac is a big time feather barber, but not much of a plucker. He seems to be getting better. I give him a bath every other day and a spritzing of water the other days. I think this has helped his feathers.

Your bird most likely hasn't had a decent bath in quite a while. If you can get her to set on your shoulder, see if you can get her to take a shower with you. I do this with Mac and he loves it.

Also, ONLY GIVE A SPOON OR TWO OF SEED A DAY as a treat only. Also, I have found it best to avoid pellets as well. Mac never eat pellets so he would just ignore them. I might also mention that my vet mentioned that a lot of bird owners over do fresh fruits in their birds diets. Fruits should be used mainly as a treat.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
She is so beautiful, I bet she will be so much happier now that she has you!

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Her plucking doesn't look too bad at all. She was probably just stressed in that pet store environment.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Molly is blessed, having you both as her guardians
I am sure the feather plucking will stop, she seems happy and content now.
Glad she enjoyed the shower
You guys are doing a wonderful job, keep it up

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Molly's feathers are growing back beautifully. She seems so happy and content now and I really love the close up shot with her head turned to the left. I think the bathing will help. My husband takes our tiel into the shower with him a couple of times a week. Tango loves the shower and it also helps with his dander. She sounds like a real character and from what I read, it seems like she adopted you.

OP
C

Carlagracie

Sep 8, 2012
Ann Arbor MI
We are very happy to have Molly. This morning we didnt see any feathers in her cage so we are hoping that her plucking days are hopefully behind her. We have alot of toys in her cage but she doesnt play with any of them. We have a small table in between my wifes and I recliners and we have a little stand on it with her food and a couple toys but she just sits there and talks to us rather than play with her toys.

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
My 12yr old male has never played with toys and to this day he has no toys. And he has never plucked himself either. Some birds won't go for the toys.

OP
C

Carlagracie

Sep 8, 2012
Ann Arbor MI
Yea Ive just noticed over the past hour it seems as molly likes shredding paper. We may take her toys out and replace with paper.

Jollyjess80

Oct 23, 2012
Chico, CA
Parrots
Beeker: SI Eclectus,
Kianna: Grn Cheeked Conure
Showers help sooth those plucked out feathers! I'm sure youl make her one happy ekkie, they love bath time!

Most Reactions