Meet my new GCC (my first parrot). Lots of questions and a bit long.

brittish

Mar 24, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and I purchased my first Green Cheek Conure from a respected breeder. He is 3 months old and I've only had him for 3 days. I named him Tango. I have never owned a parrot before, but I have done extensive research prior to my purchase. He will already step up and down for me and seems to like my presence. He sure is not shy or afraid of me, which was surprising for only having him for such a short time.

I would like to hear from advice from experienced conure owners. I have a few questions. He loves coming out of his cage to hang out with me on the couch, but he almost always scurries straight up to my shoulder. I know some people frown upon this, but I remove him and place him back down on my hand and he is right back up my shoulder. He will sit there and nuzzle me, play with my hair, etc. I do have a lot of piercings and I know birds love shiny objects, so he did try giving my monroe piercing a taste :p He does not bite me while on my shoulder though and it seems to be his desired "chill place" on me. Should I not allow him on my shoulder?

The second day I got him, he snuggled up on my chest and let me give him a good scratch and rub on his neck, head and belly. He ruffled up his neck feathers and sort of, laid there almost seeming to dose off(his eyes seem to get heavy). When I do this and he does ruffle his neck feathers, does this mean he is enjoying the scratching?

He has a tendency to bit(not very hard, just a good pinch) on my fingers. I figure this is just a baby thing. When he does bite, I tell him "NO BITE" and then do some laddering with him. I've heard a lot of different solutions to breaking a bird out of biting, such as placing him on top of his cage and turning your back to him for a few minutes. What is your preferred correction method?

I don't have many toys for him yet, but I will be getting him some wood toys to chew on and some interactive toys that make noise next week when I am paid again.. Right now I do have a rope perch and a rope toy to chew on, so I'm sure that has to get boring for him. I am home almost all hours of the day as I do online classes, so he does spend quite a lot of time outside of his cage with me. What are some homemade items I can use to entertain him until I get more toys and a playgym? Any fun games we can play together and when can I start teaching him more advance tricks? Like I said, he already has step up and off commands down.

Sorry for the long post and many questions. Just am excited to hear advice from other conure owners. Here are some pictures of my baby.

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Congrats on your new baby, he's adorable! I too have a GCC who is about 5 I think, I keep forgetting the year he was hatched, old age on my part. They are sweet birds but they do like to be the boss.

Wood toys are a good idea and I would suggest introducing him to foot toys right away. When I got Tico I guess I just assumed he would know how to play and I admit I didn't even really know much about birds at all. I have learned alot since then, through reading and research and especially from the kind and brilliant people here on the forums.

Something I have found Tico to like is the bird kabobs.
Bird Kabob Original - BIRD KABOBS BY WESCO by MY SAFE BIRD STORE
He gnaws those down like nothing. They do like to shred and destroy.

Tico I find is pretty fearless and constantly goes to the floor to chase after the cats.

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Congrats on your new baby! I just got my sun conure a week ago. Ours also loves being on your shoulder but I have started by invitation only. He doesn't bite me either. I asked the same question about being on my shoulder and it really depends on the bird if they start abusing the priviledge, or you, than the option isn't allowed for them.

As for biting I find if I say "ow" it will make her stop, briefly enough where I can distract her but they are beaky birds in general though.

Our conure loves really small wiffle balls she chews on them and rolls them around. Also plastic spoons too. She is starting to like peek a boo. I'll hide around a corner or along side the couch and poke my head up and say peek a boo and than duck back down. I think she is trying to say boo already.

Indy

Feb 5, 2012
I'm by no means an expert but I have had some experience with some conures so I'll try my best to help.
I let mine on my shoulder as long as they aren't aggressive and seeing as you have a baby as long as you keep Tango under control I see no reason not to. If you see him developing aggression of biting you hard I say then try stopping him.
I just ignore mine if I get bit. This isn't the most effective method but I work with birds that never ever have been handled most of the time and they have every reason to hate people. I don't run the risk of scaring the bird which is entirely unproductive.
As everyone else has said wood chewing toys are great, the nanday I have currently adores them. And toys she can shred, those make her so happy (And me quite exasperated) things with bells also entertain her. Basically go to a discount pet store and go crazy. I spend more money on bird toys then most other things, you can always make your own toys too, try googling homemade bird toys, you'll be surprised what you find at the dollar store that works (As long as its not toxic!)

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Congrats on your baby! Yes the shoulder depends on you and your bird. You have to randomly ask for a step up when he is there and make sure he obliges, then put him back on the shoulder. The privilege to be on your shoulder should come with an absolute understanding to step up any time you ask. If he doesn't then put him down somewhere else.

It is great that you are home. However I would put him in his cage a few hours a day even though you are around. Good for him to wind down and nap and learn to be and entertain himself. Good for him to love his cage too. Also you being home doesn't mean he HAS to be out. You may have problems later when he demands to be out every time you are home. What if you have company and need him safe in his cage? It's good to bond with him but he needs his alone time in his own place too.

For wood chew, I would recommend a soft wood like pine because he is a baby. They do like to see the destruction. Lol

lauraandlee

Mar 18, 2012
S.Wales UK
Parrots
Jet GCC - 16/1/12
Hi, Congratulations
I picked up my GCC yesterday-
He hates being in cage i have being leaving the doors open and he is always out on our heads, and following us around. He is 10 weeks old and has been nipping too. Breeder said to lower ur hand when he nips and I have been telling him NO!

I have put a picture of his cage in my albums he dont seem bothered with any of his toys but been hiding/sleeping in his cozzzzy hanging fleece thing.

Also he LOVES food im feeding him pulses (soaked then boiled for 30mis), fruit parrot food, parkeet food, and so far apple, chicken, strawberries;) and grapes.

He likes to chirp too didnt sounds are these meant to mean anything?

OP
brittish

brittish

Mar 24, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you all for the advice. He steps up every time I ask. I have been practicing "laddering" him and he is doing well. I hear a lot of people saying their green cheeks are afraid of them and it takes awhile for them to learn the step up, but he just got it right on and has no problem with me reaching in his cage, touching him all over, rolling him over(yea, he will put up a fight but calms down). He is a little fussy about under the wings, but we haven't been together very long so I am very happy with what he allows me to do already.

I do not keep him out of his cage all the time. I take him out in the morning to say hi, maybe eat some breakfast, watch a little tv(its almost as if he watches tv too!) and then back in his cage. His cage is in my living room where I spend most of my days doing class work on my computer, so I am always in his sight, but he has no issue with me leaving the room. Maybe a squawk or three, but then he's back to doing whatever he does. I take him out mid day to work with him stepping up, which he has pretty much mastered, but is rusty on step off. After our little sessions, I tend to give him a little love and a nice neck rub while he rests on my chest. He seems to not be as cuddly with me when my boyfriend gets home, but he doesn't seem to really like my boyfriend either. :/ Also, he has been dunking his head in his water bowl and tossing it up onto his back. I assumed he wanted a bath. I took him out and attempted to let him bathe in a large bowl but he freaked.

I swear. Birds are so unpredictable. :p

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Congratulations on your new baby!

Puck looooooooves tearing apart paper. Sometimes I will mount a whole toilet paper roll in his cage, and he has a blast! I also weave and/or tie tissue paper and/or paper towels in the bars of his cage.

Most Reactions