Meet Sparky the kakariki!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Not the best picture, but he's still cute!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362260154.535947.jpg

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Pretty colors on his head. I hope you will be able to post more photos. :)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Thanks! Me too... He's all over the place so I was surprised he sat still long enough for me to get this picture! I plan on cleaning his cage this weekend and I think he might try to escape lol he hasn't tried to bite me [yet]!

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
oh wow, he's so b-e-a-utiful. I've never met a kakariki in person before. Sparky's the closest I got to seeing one lol. Thanks for sharing!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I'm hoping to get more pictures of him after we bird-proof so he can come out!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
There's quite a few different color varieties of Kakarikis now days, the original color of this type is the Red Front! Yours is a Yellow Front, beautiful birds!!!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
nice to see someone else owns a Kakariki :)

you've just had him a short time, and he will settle down. He's just really curious about every inch of your place and has to explore it, taste it, scratch it, and test it out :) :)

they are funny, have fun with him!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
nice to see someone else owns a Kakariki :)

you've just had him a short time, and he will settle down. He's just really curious about every inch of your place and has to explore it, taste it, scratch it, and test it out :) :)

they are funny, have fun with him!

Oh yay!! Another kakariki!! Lol I've discovered that it's hard to find others who own kaks and Tucumans :/ apparently they're not very common...

Sparky seems to be settling down a bit though... He doesn't seem as hyper as he was. He's been trying to investigate me when I change his food and water, and then yesterday I think he was trying to dislodge his water dish in an effort to get the door open to get out lol

I want to let him out but I'm scared I won't be able to get him back in his cage! :/

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'm pretty sure that the yellow front and the red front are separate species... and the orange front is a hybrid of the two...

Red fronted kaks aren't very common, yellow fronts even less so.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Monica,

Yea your correct, I was going by the information I got 14 years ago when I had my Red Front as there wasn't a whole lot about them that I can gather at that time. It's been years since I read up on them. It's not that they're uncommon, it's because they're not widely distributed as they've been around for a long time. Back then if I wanted a male for my female, I had to have it shipped to me all the way from CA. I see more and more breeders of them that's closer now days.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
you should let him out!....if he steps up for you, there shouldn't be any problem going back in. just don't leave him alone, keep a eye on him.

with mine(his name is Cedric btw,lol my son named him)he loves to bath, provide a large dish he can fit into. I also put timothy hay in the bottom of the cage, and he scratches around it, which helps entertain him, almost like something he would do in the wild.
remember to change it everyday though.
they like to chew and shred, right now Cedric is into chewing any cable he can get his beak on,ugggg, silly boy :)

Cedric never bit me when I first got him, but is going thru the biting stage now.

they have very sharp beaks,like most birds, so it may pinch a bit, try and ignore it if you can tolerate it. sometimes I pull my sleeve over my hand and he still step s up, but pulls at my sleeve.
also provide LOTS of good quality fruits,veggies,brown rice,etc....Cedric craves for good food, and lets me know when he wants it, he makes a funny honking noise, LOL

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
Aw! He is adorable. I have a red fronted kak and yes, they are very active!
But sweet too. They are very fun birds!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Monica,

Yea your correct, I was going by the information I got 14 years ago when I had my Red Front as there wasn't a whole lot about them that I can gather at that time. It's been years since I read up on them. It's not that they're uncommon, it's because they're not widely distributed as they've been around for a long time. Back then if I wanted a male for my female, I had to have it shipped to me all the way from CA. I see more and more breeders of them that's closer now days.

That's perfectly understandable! LOL 13 years ago, I recall that there wasn't much information out there on the internet, and what information was there was often conflicting, confusing and down right wrong! That was back when many thought orange fronted kakarikis were a separate species rather than a hybrid!

I don't see very many owners with kaks, but I've heard they are excellent little birds!

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
Kirby nibs me sometimes but it never hurts much.
When I was researching on Kaks, I found that there still isnt too much info about them that you can be sure is true. Ive mostly just been figuring stuff out as I have him.
Good luck with your kakariki!

rmhuntley

Jun 2, 2013
I wish I could find another Kak. I miss my little red front female. I had her fro 11 years before she passed away. They're such wonderful little birds, and apparently getting tougher to find, now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts