Meet Yoshi!!!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
So one thing lead to another today and we managed to get an awesome cage for $200(Originally listed by seller at $250) and even picked up our new friend for $360 instead of $500, because we didn't need his small cage. Eeeeeee!!!!!!!
We've decided to name him Yoshi, because, well, he's green. And we have a lizard named Bowser, so it's cute, yeah?
Anyway the only perches that came with it are made out of PVC pipe so they're really slick. After we eat dinner we'll be making a trip to get new perches and toys :) So far he's stepped up on Brad all by himself!! and because of that his reward was being put in the cage, which he kept going back to since I guess it's his "comfort zone". We can't get him to take food from our hand so we're gonna pick up some yummy fresh foods for him also. You can see that he used to pluck but hopefully that will not happen again.. with enough TLC :)

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
Yoshi is adorable. So glad you got him already!! How exciting!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Funny you call him Yoshi cause I think JoJo was once named Yoshi. Every so often he will say Yoshi. But he says his name JoJo a lot more. He's been through several homes before we got him.

Yoshi is a handsome boy, some good diet and a bath will help him tremendously! ;)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yay! Yoshi is adorable and I am so happy that you have him home with you!

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Funny you call him Yoshi cause I think JoJo was once named Yoshi. Every so often he will say Yoshi. But he says his name JoJo a lot more. He's been through several homes before we got him.

Yoshi is a handsome boy, some good diet and a bath will help him tremendously! ;)

Yes! I'm super excited to watch him start glowing with health. :) We are both off all day tomorrow so we decided to spend the money we would have spent on our anniversary dinner on toys and perches instead, and we'll spend our 1 year bonding with Yoshi. So I can start with the clicker, and if I can get him to step up comfortably without jumping for his cage we will introduce him to the bathroom for a nice shower. :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My Ekko also enjoys a good, soaking misting as long as the vacuum is running:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
He may freak out a first so try to hold him close and let the water fall on him. He should enjoy it!!!! What better way to spend anniversary but to spend it with you guy's first bird baby together! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Happy Anniversary to you! What a great way to celebrate it:)

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
OMG, you got him!!!! Woohoo! I'm so glad it all worked out.
Thanks, Aether! Really I wouldn't have even looked at him when I did if you hadn't posted that ad on my thread haha.. so generally I'm really thankful for this forum and thanks to you for bringing it to my attention!
His cage before was soo small.. so I went out and got him a bigger one :) I'm about to take a picture of him in it. I don't have any pictures of him in the old one though but it seemed like it was maybe 18x18, if not then it definitely wasn't much bigger..

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Here's him in his new cage.. I know it looks empty, but it will be filling up with neat toys and new perches soon! This is just what we set him up with for his first night.. I don't have pictures of his old cage, but it's probably about 1/4th the size of this one. Not even enough room for him to open his clipped wings all the way! So he's got plenty of space to roam and explore in here. He's pretty clumsy about perches still so step-up practice will continue tomorrow!
(And yes, I took the ringer out of the bell as it was secured with a flimsy piece of metal and I read something about how birds will take those out and swallow/choke on them.. so that was the first thing to go!!)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Awesome cage for him! You got a great deal on that.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congrats! Yoshi is just adorable :) Good diet, a good molt and bath, then watch out ladies... (hens).

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
That's a good cage purchase for $200!!!! Don't go way too big on the perches, I find ekkies very clumsy with perches.

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
That's a palace compared to what he's used to! What size is it?
Yoshi is a very lucky bird.

My galah was also in a very small cage before I got her, and was pretty clumsy at first. She sat in one spot quite a bit, so I had to add extra perches and make sure she could climb between them easily. Now she's a lot better, but it took a few weeks.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you! Yoshi is quite the handsome fellow, and an improved diet will bring out his full potential. He's a lucky bird to have found so loving a home.

And Ashley, I can't believe you were able to get an eclectus for $360 and such a sweet cage for $200! My cage ALONE cost almost as much as your combined price! If ever I get another bird, you know you'll just have to be my buyer, right?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
What a great story, I hope with some TLC you can get him happy and healthy. Congrats ekkies are the best!

Most Reactions