Merlin tries to teach me

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Whenever I can't do a very good job imitating one of her sounds, she keeps repeating it over and over for me, like she is trying to teach it to me. This morning she has a new one. She won't give up either, and I can't even come close. I'm not even sure what it is, but I think it might be wild bird call.

Yesterday it was "Oh boy" over and over in this funny sounding voice. Today it's this new sound that I'm having all kinds of trouble with. I did a lot better with the oh boy, lol!

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
lol its adorable that she tries to be so patient with you :)

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
It must be very trying for her that you are soooo slow to learn....lol

That is the cutest thing, and I'm sure with enough time you will pick up her "chatter" and be able to repeat it;)

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Merlin does this w/whistling. If I get it right, he goes to the next whistle. If I mess up, he has this funny chuckling sound he makes to make fun of me.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
It's like they're saying, "Why can't you get it? It's so easy!" I love that!

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I am pretty good at most of her sounds. Thankfully I'm a pretty good mimic. But, some I can't do for the life of me so then she will keep trying to get me to learn it, lol! The ones I do fine with, she then moves on to the next sound.

I'm sure I'm a frustrating student for her at times.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Today she imitated my poor whistling, lol! That I could do back though!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Rox I have a neighbor who stopped in to see my birds. She began to whistle to Rosie and the sound that came out of her lips was awesome! She could whistle for a living. She said her father taught her. Rosie was mesmerized watching her with her head turned to the side. I invited her back to whistle, but we have not seen her again.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Merlin would love if I was a good whistler, but I haven't been since being kicked by a horse and losing a tooth. I can't do it very well with the fake one. I once could do all kinds of wild bird songs, but not anymore. Merlin is a whistling extradinaire.

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Hi, Yes from observation I firmly believe some parrots have a feeling similar to ours when we successfuly copy them during their noise games. Barb's greay caries on conversation withy her in another room but rarely says anything to me if he can see me. If I'm out of sight we can play noise games for 20 min. He learned to throw kisses while being taken to bed. He clicks the lower beak ove the ridge in the upper beak and makes a whoooo blowing sound. He an make an unbelievale number of varitations in the whoooo and he enjoys having me try to imitate them. Yes your bird probably is making small bird calls. Echo and I listen to nature sounds on the satilite for hours daily. I was astonished the first time I heard a bird his size call back to a tiny bird apparently in it's own call. Echo's vocabulary extends fron sience fiction sound effects to expelitives in my voice. He also recalls words he used years ago. Reciently I heard him say "Come in George" . I had not heard him say George since one evening years ago when Barb came home with him after trying to get him to say one of the neigbours names. She was unsucsessful but after he cam homr we listened to a litteny of georges. D.D.

Most Reactions