so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Here is an un-edited video of Merlin's flying.
This is only about 40% of his normal craziness.
You do not need to turn up the sound.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2NmiNWhRPA"]Merlin flying - YouTube[/ame]

Is this normal for a Young (2 year old) Amazon?

Merlin is the youngest Amazon I have ever had.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have worked with much older Amazons, the vast majority well over Thirty. So First hand experience is non-existent.

Have seen young Amazons in action, and your statement and video is true to what I have experienced: They fly like the devil is chasing them is so accurate. A combination of Youth and the Joy of Flying!!!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When I watch him I sometimes wonder if he is mentally unbalanced:rolleyes:
Glad to know it’s normal.
I also red on a recent post that the male Amazons tend to be more playful.
Looks like I have best of both worlds.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wes,can I rent Merlin? Or maybe send Amy your way (he'd enjoy being away from New England weather) I think he could learn a few things from your boy...as far as flapflap goes..I wouldn't mind if he came back home flying upside down,just as long as he flies. :eek:

Jim

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Lol--- @ "when i watch him i sometimes wonder..."
haha!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I was making a long entry and it all just went away.

There is a large crow population in/near where I work (close to LAX).
They leave early in the morning and fly back near sunset to roost.
The adult birds fly a good distance above the buildings.
The young birds..... The fly in between the buildings around trees in some kind of elaborate game that looks a bit like tag. When I watch them you can see just how much fun they have enjoying the freedom of flight.

There is also a family of crows that nest and raise there young on the company property. Because I was moved to work in a different building I don't see them anymore but at one time the crow family knew me and recognized my face. They would make a point of flying over me in a way I could not miss seeing them so I would give them some handouts (usualy Cheetos). Some of the crows would (make soup) dip the Cheetos in water to soften them up a little.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have a large park with a really nice sized pond near by. Its Summer home to a cross-section of ducks, gulls and Canada geese! Long story short; There is an individual that feeds them at noon. Well from time to time, he would be late and the geese would start walking toward his home. And, yes, like you, they knew if the individual walking their way was him or someone else.

We have a Robin family that builds their nest in the bush in front of my home office window. The first year was a bit iffy, but within a couple of weeks I was added to some trusted list. The following year the nest was build specifically on the window side of the bush in my full sight and it was as if, I was assigned nest guarding duty! Been that way now for four years. Although, I think one of her off-spring moved in this last Summer.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Barney used to fly like that! Not the most graceful flyer- more like a big green bat��

Most Reactions