Mess Problem

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I originally had problems getting Bob to eat pellets, now he eats half of them (maybe not enough). The half he doesn't eat rocket out of his cage as he bites them in half. Any suggestions on preventing this mess?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Do you have seed guards on your cage? They really help w/the mess. I was going to give a smart a** answer "get a dog", but I will be good. lol Birds are messy, its a fact.

OP
S

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I thought seed gaurds were something different. I looked up some pictures and they look like they will be an effective solution.

Thank you very much.

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
Solomon island female eclectus
Rani is super messy. One day i told her these Horizon pellets you eat are very expensive don't throw them around LOL.

What i have started to do with her is when i make birdie bread i mix in a lot of pellets in there too. Then i scoop the mix in small cupcake trays and bake it. Make storage easy in the freezer and every morning i will give her one cupcake after warming it up a bit. She seems to like it warm. Also i went and got a huge bowl from the dog section which clips on the cage. This way since the bowl is big she throws less on the floor.

I also have installed plastic about half way from the bottom of her cage on all 3 sides.

Every time i find a solution she will find one too..... Her newest thing is she will go to the food bowl... Pick the food up climb out of the cage and sit on the cage door and chew....2 seconds later everything falls from her beak......... She loves to create a mess in general:)

Good luck

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Birds will be birds and birds are messy.
Remember when they have had enough to eat, the pellets become something like a toy.
Mishka throws the green ones out, and places all the red ones in a corner.
GET A VACUUM CLEANER LoL

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Parrots = Mess They throw food for a reason. The theory is that is how they re plant the food item, at least in a parrots mind.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I like the dog suggestion...it works in our house. But, yeah, it's going to be messy always.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
Parrots = Mess They throw food for a reason. The theory is that is how they re plant the food item, at least in a parrots mind.
lucy is very clean when she's in her cage... but we keep a bowl of food for her to perch on in the living room on the coffee table.. she just discovered it yesterday, and decided she'd like to "plant" millet and pellets and seeds in our carpet... she "splashed" waves of seeds all over the place, it was too funny lol

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Parrots = Mess lucy is very clean when she's in her cage... but we keep a bowl of food for her to perch on in the living room on the coffee table.. she just discovered it yesterday, and decided she'd like to "plant" millet and pellets and seeds in our carpet... she "splashed" waves of seeds all over the place, it was too funny lol

lol, are you ever honeymooning...:p That sweet birdie has you wrapped up. Can you put a sheet under her perch? I cant imagine how hard it is to clean seed from carpet.:greenyellow:

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
Parrots = Mess lucy is very clean when she's in her cage... but we keep a bowl of food for her to perch on in the living room on the coffee table.. she just discovered it yesterday, and decided she'd like to "plant" millet and pellets and seeds in our carpet... she "splashed" waves of seeds all over the place, it was too funny lol

lol, are you ever honeymooning...:p That sweet birdie has you wrapped up. Can you put a sheet under her perch? I cant imagine how hard it is to clean seed from carpet.:greenyellow:
haha it's an area carpet so we can take it outside and beat it. it's also relatively easy to vacuum, the dragons drag sand around out of their cages onto the same carpet so it gets taken out or vacuumed daily lol i think if i added a little water the combination of dirt from the lizards and lucy's seeds would grow! haha I admit, I'm wrapped up, but I don't put up with the biting and louder sqwaking. She gets a time out if she does either. the "perch" is actually a ceramic ice cream bowl i found at the drug store! LOL she's only done it once haha. we have a "critter trail" mess thingie that goes under her cage but since the apartment has all hardwood floors it's not too difficult to sweep up lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My dogs clean up all the pellets being thrown out of Willie's cage. Willie feeds them on purpose......crazy bird......Seed guard is your answer to prevent such a mess, or just sweep or vacuum up often. Seed guard doesn't work with my ekkies, they throw far!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts