Metal pieces found in safari

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I finally got to see what killed Safari.

6 tiny metal fragments that embedded themselves into the lining of his stomach

Evan said only lead would have killed him this quickly without any obvious signs of distress....but we are still waiting for the tissue results which should be completed by late this week.

It is hard to imagine something that small can be very very toxic and deadly to a bird.:eek:

I asked Evan why birds like to chew metal. His reply was this:
"Birds naturally chew things, they like metal because it is soft, and they can manipulate it, they chew and chew in the same area until it makes a lip, then they work at it until they can pull it off, then they grind it down into tiny fragments and swallow them.

that made total sense to me...this is why I love Evan, he is a FANTASTIC VET, and knows birds so very well.

here is a picture of the fragments....

I had to hold it up to the patio door so I could get natural lighting on it so they would show up....

just one more thing: 2 of my birds have had accidents due to toys, one was a very 'freak accident' with Num Num, Safari unfortunately died....ANYTHING METAL IS TOXIC TO BIRDS, so please please for my sake stop what you are doing and go thru your birds toys, and remove any potential toys that have metal on them, bells are the most dangerous.

any bird including lovebirds, cockatiels, conures and up, are capable of chewing pieces of metal from toys according to Evan.

if you really think about it, a bird is no match for a $10-20 toy, it's just not worth the risk.

with Safari's death now behind me, I can focus on my other birds, and know that they are safe.

Attachments

• IMG_4802.JPG
    IMG_4802.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 271

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Beth, that had to have been hard for you. :( MANY HUGS!!!!!

I am 100% honest when I tell you I have been re-assessing ALL my toys, and have removed MANY pieces of metal, such as those O-rings that can hold toys together. Even though they were labeled as SS, they were NOT!! Additionally, Ripley was able to maneuver them open, an accident waiting to happen.

Wherever possible I use SISAL rope to hang toys, to interlock toys, to fasten toys. Ok, so I may have to fasten them more often, but it will be worth the extra effort.

OOPS...sorry Beth, now I'm derailing your thread. Sorry about that. :(

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I am so sorry, that is heartbreaking.
You are so right about being extra careful with toys, thank you for sharing your experience.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Crimson, I want to thank you for sharing that with us and especially posting the picture of the metal fragments - that's exactly what I love about this forum, that's educating us. As a result I have examined my cages very thoroughly to eliminate any metal risk that could have been present. Thank you so much.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Beth, that had to have been hard for you. :( MANY HUGS!!!!!

I am 100% honest when I tell you I have been re-assessing ALL my toys, and have removed MANY pieces of metal, such as those O-rings that can hold toys together. Even though they were labeled as SS, they were NOT!! Additionally, Ripley was able to maneuver them open, an accident waiting to happen.

Wherever possible I use SISAL rope to hang toys, to interlock toys, to fasten toys. Ok, so I may have to fasten them more often, but it will be worth the extra effort.

OOPS...sorry Beth, now I'm derailing your thread. Sorry about that. :(

No worries Wendy!!, I am contemplating using Sisal rope as well, rather than leather...IDK is anything safe??

Actually I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE HARD, YOU KNOW I'VE BEEN DREADING GOING, but when I saw the pieces it came to me as a relief, knowing they were so very very tiny, and not this huge chunk like it had appeared on the x-ray....it was a strange feeling...Evan and I spoke about it for a good 10 minutes.
He told me the most things he 'pulls' out of birds is......NESTING MATERIAL, you know bedding.....then I thought of Mikey's baby cockatiel. the most prone to eating bedding are the larger birds, AG's, Macaws, Cockatoo's.
that is why I use hand towels, they are safe, of course I am referring to raising chicks, not adults.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Crimson, I want to thank you for sharing that with us and especially posting the picture of the metal fragments - that's exactly what I love about this forum, that's educating us. As a result I have examined my cages very thoroughly to eliminate any metal risk that could have been present. Thank you so much.

You are more than welcome....this forum is a fountain of knowledge, and we all have things to learn to keep our fids safe.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I am so sorry, that is heartbreaking.
You are so right about being extra careful with toys, thank you for sharing your experience.

you are welcome!....my mind races when I look at toys in the stores, identifying all the troubles they come with.....geez I thought toys were suppose to be fun!??...and all they've done is cause me pain, plus the loss of Safari....live and learn....don't get me wrong, there are excellent toys out there, that is why it is SO IMPORTANT to choose the CORRECT toy for your type of bird.....wow lesson learned:eek:

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
It is hard to tell from the photo, but that material almost looks like flecks of chrome plating that has peeled off. I've seen cheaply done chrome plate flake like that before. And sometimes the metal underneath is just about as shiny. This got me to worry about my bowls. I might take a razor knife and scrape the rings to see if they are solid stainless. I would be especially cautious of the water bowl holder since the moisture could penetrate cheap chrome and cause corrosion to start underneath.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
It is hard to tell from the photo, but that material almost looks like flecks of chrome plating that has peeled off. I've seen cheaply done chrome plate flake like that before. And sometimes the metal underneath is just about as shiny. This got me to worry about my bowls. I might take a razor knife and scrape the rings to see if they are solid stainless. I would be especially cautious of the water bowl holder since the moisture could penetrate cheap chrome and cause corrosion to start underneath.

I asked Evan if the acid in Safaris' stomach would change the colour of the metal, and his answer was 'yes' it would shine it up a bit....

no point in guessing until we get the results.

as for your bowl, good idea!!! I never thought of that either, OMG!:eek:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Wow, such tiny tiny pieces!! I'm so sorry Beth!!!

I'm seriously going to do a toy overhaul tomorrow because Chili's boing has those stupid gold wimpy bells. :eek:

Most Reactions

Latest posts