MICKEY is obsessed with my dogs!!

Jroyal14

Sep 13, 2014
Michigan
Parrots
12 y/o male African Grey (Mickey)
So a while ago, I posted about MICKEY trying to eat my dogs food from his bowl. I've tried to separate them and feed them in Different rooms but it's such a hassle and and an inconvenience. But to make matters worse (kidding). We got another dog a few weeks ago. And MICKEY has become obsessed with them. Whenever they are just lounging around, Mickey will try his best to go over there. And for the first few times I tried my best to keep him off the ground. But the dogs (a dachshund and a Pomeranian) don't seem to mind him at all. They aren't super interested in him and whenever he's around they kinda just let him do whatever he wants.
But as far as feeding goes. I've actually started feeding them all together. I have 3 sets of food/water bowls. And because Mickey was so obsessed I bought him a dog food/water bowl. Every morning I feed the dogs and Mickey breakfast in the kitchen. All lined up. The dogs run to their food and mickey climbs down from his perch and is the last one to come walking into the kitchen. I'll see if I can catch it on video one morning. I closely supervise breakfast time and Everyone is put up in cages whenever I'm not home. So the only time Mickey and the dogs interact is when I'm right there.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
That's funny. One of the dogs came to my room a few days ago and they didn't even notice each h other.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Keeping your animals separated may be a hassle and inconvenience, but feeding dogs can present an immediate danger to a bird...even when all associate together (albeit under supervision). Many dogs are protective of their food bowl and an inquisitive grey parrot can spark that protectivity and in an instant, your supervision is of little use to a dead or severely injured bird.....I mention this only because I know of a macaw that was best friends with a small dog, the bird would fly & the dog would chase it or sometimes the dog would instigate the play...until the bird landed on a chair seat & bent its head down to a playful skull crush from its friend...even with their vet being only a couple of miles away, the macaw did not recover.....

While the girls here have cats and a dog, they don't directly interact with the birds.....each has their own spaces and are not allowed to interact with each other...that way I don't have to worry about any unintentional accidents.....

Good luck.....

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Please do get that on a video!!! It sounds quite funny. My macaws are obsessed with the dogs as well, they will NOT stop calling the dogs all day long.....lol

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Haha silly bird! I'm glad he makes friends fast! :D I remember one time when Lilo went wandering around the kitchen under my surveillance and she went for the dog food first while the dog was eating! Thankfully Schatzi (the dog) was like ok Im out and ran! :p But I was ready to get her. Than she found the water bowl (very shallow, its for very small dogs) and tried to take a bath! So I had to get her again, I don't really want her to swim in dog slobber and gross water... Then she ventured to the dogs sleeping cage and literally hung out in there. The dogs were far away at that point! :D They were probably like so who is this crazy looking dog? :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts