military macaw 4 months old

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots
african grey (Gizmo)..umbrella cockatoo (Wacko RIP)...military macaw (Rowdy)...blue fronted amazon (cookie RIP)
I am not a new bird owner i currently own a few an African grey Gizmo had him for years he is very funny potty mouth always saying the f word or imitating the beep of the microwave. Then I have Wacko right now she is the only female she a scaredy cat Wacko is a umbrella cockatoo love her to death but she dont like to be held. but once she is out she wants to be hiding in your clothes lol. next and last for now is Romeo he is a maluccan cockatoo and for the past few months has becomes very aggressive to the point of biting the kids and my husband he does not stop screeching and screaming all day the other birds are afraid of him and hide in the corner. I am giving him to a santuary where he can make all the noise he wants it hurts me to do that but he will be happier. this brings me to the military macaw. i went to parrots of the world and seen alot of birds they are all gorgeous. i looked at another that was similiar to wacko all white they wanted close to 2200. but Mike came over and sais you would like this bird he is a baby 4 months old and is only 1600. so he isn't about the money as some has stated. after leaving a deposit i came home and did some research on the military macaws and read they were very vocal and get up with the sun that is what i am afraid of i don' t mind if he screeches in the morning but stops i cant handle the excessive and not giving up screeching and screaming. I am hoping when i exlaned all this to Mike at parrots of the worls he considered that I dont' want to waste all that money on a bird i cant deal with:rainbow1:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forums. :)

I'm sure you meant "Marc" (Morrone) from Parrots of the World, not Mike, right?

ANY big mac can be vocal. Some more so than others. Mine do sound off sometimes, however, not excessively. It always depends on how they were raised and socialized, and what mood they are in. :)

So sorry to hear things haven't worked out with your Moluccan. I sure hope he finds happiness in the sanctuary.

OP
drveunutz

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots
african grey (Gizmo)..umbrella cockatoo (Wacko RIP)...military macaw (Rowdy)...blue fronted amazon (cookie RIP)
Welcome to the forums. :)

I'm sure you meant "Marc" (Morrone) from Parrots of the World, not Mike, right?

ANY big mac can be vocal. Some more so than others. Mine do sound off sometimes, however, not excessively. It always depends on how they were raised and socialized, and what mood they are in. :)

So sorry to hear things haven't worked out with your Moluccan. I sure hope he finds happiness in the sanctuary.

yes i meant marc, he also just replied to me telling me he is there is i ever need him for advise as well. i don't mind the screeching here or there but in excess it can be an earful and that is what my maluccqan is doing day and night

OP
drveunutz

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots
here is my new baby I call him Rowdy he is 4 months old Rowdy is the nickname of Roddy Piper the wrestler and his kilt was always full of colors. I read if you own a macaw at a young age reputation for being pleasant, even-tempered pets when handfed as babies and properly socialized. (fingers crossed) don't mind the screeching here or there but in excess aint doin that.

2wndb94.jpg

oh and i love the basket idea i read on another page i have a nice size basket i can carry him around in the apartment is small

Last edited:

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
I forgot to add at the basket taxi... I found a large, heavy, flat rock to put on the bottom of the basket to weigh it down (I scrubbed it first!). Just in case when they climb to the top so it doesn't tip and its steady. Good luck with your baby!

OP
drveunutz

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots
Rowdy is sitting on my shoulder right now i think he chewing my hair band off. lol it i going great i want him to get used to some noise in the evening being the cage is real big and in the livingroom, so what i did was after coverng them at night usually 830 before tv shows start i turn the music on for awhile and he goes to sleep without a peep. wacko on the other hand is taking over romeos role with the noise but as soon as mist him with the water bottle he stops.

OP
drveunutz

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots
Rowdy is sitting on my shoulder right now i think he chewing my hair band off. lol it i going great i want him to get used to some noise in the evening being the cage is real big and in the livingroom, so what i did was after coverng them at night usually 830 before tv shows start i turn the music on for awhile and he goes to sleep without a peep. wacko on the other hand is taking over romeos role with the noise but as soon as mist him with the water bottle he stops.

he bit me today i didn't bleed but it hurt lol...we have a really really big cage it takes up a 1/4 of the living room. i talked to my husband today and said you know what the front room is never really used and it has 2 windows looks out on street what do you think we put cage in that room and then we can actually use living room as a living room get a couch and what not and a big perch for the birds to come in during the day, I was actually surprised he agreed.

Last edited:
OP
drveunutz

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots

he bit me today i didn't bleed but it hurt lol...we have a really really big cage it takes up a 1/4 of the living room. i talked to my husband today and said you know what the front room is never really used and it has 2 windows looks out on street what do you think we put cage in that room and then we can actually use living room as a living room get a couch and what not and a big perch for the birds to come in during the day, I was actually surprised he agreed.

I just found out my babies birthday is August 4th. 2015

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I respectfully disagree with misting as a form of punishment. Our Fids love their baths so much, and my Alex was punished with a mister bottle, and it took months for him to enjoy a bath again.

Most Reactions