Misc. Amazon Question

ClancyTheAmazon

Aug 7, 2012
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Our 20 Year Old Yellow Naped Amazon Named Clancy :)
Our new adult parrot Clancy has been in his new home for over a month. I have noticed he has chosen to manage his beak maintenece on his what I call "main level" perch which stretches accross the whole width of the cage. I'm not sure why he chooses that out of all his toys but it he does.. it needs to be replaced due to damage. I'm planning on getting a custom made one to span accross but not sure what type of wood? My second question is I'm trying to further build trust with him is creating peanut stuffed newspaper presents forging toys & giving them to him through the cage helping or hurting? Should I just hide them around to encourage more exercise rather then attempt to hand feed even though he takes them from me? He's been in our family since he was born but he's agressive at times and is adjusting to our home slowly so I'm not sure if he plays during the day without us..I do hear him sing & practice his vocalization which is adorable. Any relationship building advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I use dragonwood perches, but i cut it myself . Give me a length and i'll send you one if you pay the postage. have you tried giving him "chew Toys" to tear up instead of his perches ?

OP
ClancyTheAmazon

ClancyTheAmazon

Aug 7, 2012
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Our 20 Year Old Yellow Naped Amazon Named Clancy :)
Clancy would appreciate that very much :) I will get the measurments & have no problem paying for the postage. We have about 5 or 6 toys scattered around his cage I have tried to acknowledge & praise him when I see him with the other toys but I think he's not sure or skeptical about them..he says "get outta there" when he is biting the main perch that came with the big cage so he knows he's not supposed too lol I have tied string around block toys which he rarely plays with.. but I do praise him when he does. Mostly when we take him outside the cage he sits there and doesn't really explore which is why we bought a play stand to take him out of his room into a neutral zone..we want to see him play with his toys..

Will let you know the measurements thank you so much

Last edited:

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Give him the paper wrapped treats first after he know what they are then place them in his cage while he is out visiting with your mom so he has a surprise when he returns and knows them by sight this will encourage him looking for them. Also try hanging some food from his perch on a string that he has to pull up to eat I use corn on the cob cut into a wheel and attached to the string by a screw. Hope you keep making progress.

Most Reactions