Mishka's Potty

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
I sent a PM to Ant to ask about Miska's Potty, I have seen reference to it but don't really know what it is. Ant. asked me to start this thread and she would post some pic's of it so we can build a bird potty to assist us in potty training our TOO and I am sure to give some ideas to every one here interested in potty training.

Thank you Ant!!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
You are most welcome Steve

Potty training is one of the easiest things to teach a bird

Having had birds previously I knew the one down side were their droppings.
I wanted to make this an exciting experience, for Mishka, as knowing that he has achieved something great as well. Knowing how much I would benefit from it as well. I promised myself, it must become a daily habit, right from the start.
I began “potty” training Mishka, soon after he had mastered the stepping up technique.
Deciding the command will be
“poopie”. I placed a piece of newspaper on the floor. Each time I let him step up,
I held him about 10 centimeters, above the floor, over the newspaper. Using my other hand, going in from the side, I then proceeded to gently tap his tail, saying “poopie”.
I would hold him in that position only for a few seconds, if no joy; I would try again in a few minutes.
I knew it would take a fair amount of time and patience, before he would willingly go on command. I kept repeating Mishka “poopie”, over and over again.

I began observing his body language, taking note what he’s action were, before relieving himself. He would do a little squatting movement, and began to ruffle his tail feather, moving rather awkwardly. Timing him, it was approximately between 6 to 8 minutes intervals.
Keeping in mind there may be times he would not need to go. Many times we were successful, there were so many hilarious moments, as well. When I attempted to get him there on time, and failed, he would go ohh ohh. When he succeeded, I praised him saying, “Mishka
poopie”.

Mishka spends about 5 hours outside his cage daily, and willingly walks over to the potty and says poopie.

DSCN3514.jpg

When sitting on my lap, I place him on the potty +- every 15 minutes. Lately when training him ( to talk) he is using "Birdie Hand Language" He does not say poppies while on my lap, he walks over onto my other leg, and kisses my hand.... then he is placed on the potty.

When taking your bird out the cage, each time, place the bird on the potty and say poopie, If successful not at first, try a few minutes later, you will soon learn to read your birds body language, when he/she is wanting to go. Make it a fun task, he/she will want to do it again and again. Praise the bird when he/she relieves themselves, and when not so lucky, laugh it off.

Mishkapotty.jpg

There are still times he has 'accidents" and knows it saying .......... Ohhh ohhhh

:grey:

Last edited:
OP
C

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Thanks!!

Now what is it? Kinda looks like a child's potty chair without the seat on it. I'm sure I could find something that will be stable enough for the purpose.

Again Thanks a million! You rock Ant.

Steve

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thanks!!

Now what is it? Kinda looks like a child's potty chair without the seat on it. I'm sure I could find something that will be stable enough for the purpose.

Again Thanks a million! You rock Ant.

Steve

You are welcome Steve
LoL It is a just a baby's potty, holds a Grey beautifully

A friend of mine filled the bottom with cement, they have a Macaw and it did the job of stabilizing the potty

Good luck !!!!
:grey:

Most Reactions