Mites

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
I'm embarrassed to even post this, but at this point it's just in case.

Last week we realized our chickens have feather mites. We are treating them, and not handling them. But we are constantly talking about "what if" Rico gets them. I've heard they are easily transferred before.
I'd rather be prepared, and know what to do. Or maybe even do a treatment on him, just in case.

What are the symptoms?
Would you treat as a precautionary measure?
What are the treatments?
And finally how easily transferred is mites, and other things our chickens may get in the future?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
FWIW my partner's finches had mites. She treated them abd my birds never had any problems. They are in the same house, but in a different room.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've never had to deal with mites, but it may be a good idea to treat all birds just in case.

I would expect that the signs of feather mites in parrots would be the same as it is in chickens, to a lesser or greater degree. That's just a guess, though!

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
Do I use the same powder? We also have diatomaceous earth.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They sell mite spray that you can directly spray on the birds to rid the mites. You can use food grade diatomaceous earth!

Most Reactions

Latest posts