Molting Aggression??

rerebooboobebe19

Sep 25, 2013
Parrots
Remus: Green Cheek Conure
DOB: 3/22/13
My Green-Cheek is about 6 months old, we (my fiance and I) got him when he was 3 months. I am the main caregiver and spend the most time with him. He didn't seem to mind anyone else and seemed just as friendly to anyone else. In mid-August he started getting a ton of pin feathers around his head region and becoming more aggressive toward others, especially when he is perched on my finger. He is the worst with my fiance. At the beginning of this month was our wedding and honeymoon and we left him with a great caretaker. She didn't seem to have much trouble with him and even taught him a new trick. He still seems to have a lot of pin feathers and has now lost two tail feathers. Is this all normal? My husband is now frustrated with him because he can't even pet him anymore. What can I do?:green1:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He's irritated from the molt so it's actually not the best time to be petting them. IF you were to pet him, do it gently from front towards the back motion, do not do scratches or backward motion. Lots of bathing will great help with the molting process! You husband might of done something he wasn't pleased with so it's time to get back to square one to earn back his trust again. Treat bribing is always number one. But go easy on the molting baby right now!!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
They get defensive during hard molts. Those pin feathers hurt sometimes, and they just don't want to be touched right now.

Increase the bathing. It helps with hard molts.

OP
R

rerebooboobebe19

Sep 25, 2013
Parrots
Remus: Green Cheek Conure
DOB: 3/22/13
Thank you! My only question is why does he seem to still be okay with me?

Most Reactions