Molting Resumes Yet Again

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
This is so strange. Its been awhile since Jasper lost feathers, and the last couple days there have been about 5-10 each day. What is going on with this molt? He started last April if I remember correctly but I'd have to check.

He's definitely not plucking, I've seen him shake and one falls down, and the tips aren't chewed in any way.

Are first molts weird like this?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sounds to me like he had a really long one and now, hopefully, he's about to go through a more minor molt. Poor guy.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Yeah I feel badly for him :( Other than seeing them all at the bottom of his cage you'd never know it. He looks fully feathered! lol But his pinching sure is an indicator.

I've noticed he has terrible dry skin on his face. He scratches and has a lot of birdie dandruff. The rest of his body seems to be ok. Can I help him somehow with that?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'd say best bet is increasing the frequency of his showers and perhaps getting a humidifier.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
I have a humidifier running 24/7 since Fall hit, humidity is usually about 30% lately, struggling to keep it higher (and that's running on max)

He only gets 1 shower a week but this week I gave him an extra. I'll try doing 2 showers a week and see how that goes.

Thanks :) I keep telling him he has major birdie dandruff and we have to get him head and shoulders hahah

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Wow - thanks for that information. I was trying for 35% and having a hard time keeping that right now. In fact, I can't keep it if I don't run my humidifier full blast 24/7 (its a small humidifier).

Since the ekkies are in a different room, maybe I will put the small one with them and get a bigger one for the downstairs, or visa versa. I will just keep trying until I get it almost right.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
I know :( I had it at 50+ up until winter went into crazy mode, and I haven't been able to get it back up past 40 in awhile. Now and then I'll run the shower hot for 1/2 hour or so and it bumps it up but doesn't last of course. I guess I'll keep trying that every other day or so.

Thanks for your reply :)

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
He could be going through a mojo molt. My female has gone through it a few times before she turned 4. She would lose all the feathers on one side of her face and would look ridiculous and it took months to complete. She stopped when I switched to a 100% fruit and veggie diet, which is what eclectus should be eating anyway. Check it out online, and see if the pics match what your boy looks like. If it is a mojo molt, it is not necessarily a big deal...as long as you have ruled out any negative causes.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Thanks c3honey84,

Jasper is fully feathered though, doesn't look like he's missing a feather on his body! I guess there's just a few that are catching up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts