Moluccan sexing help

Peachie

Apr 5, 2014
Hello! I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to being a Moluccan owner. I have had lots of experience with parrots, just more greys and and amazons.
Anyhow! We adopted Peach about a month ago, and 'she' is such an awesome bird. When we got her she had plucked over half her feathers and was mutilating pretty badly. She doesn't pluck anymore and her wound is almost healed! Amazing what change she has gone through, she is flourishing :)
Anywho, we were told she is around 15 and was sexed as female, but the previous owner apparently wasn't truthful on many things so I'm not convinced.
She's been to a vet, but since she was supposed to be sexed they never bothered. My question is, I've read online that eye color is the way to sex without DNA, but does anyone have pictures of male/female eyes? I've done the flashlight trick to see the true color, and they are so dark brown they are almost black, and look black in normal light. Is peach actually male?

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
This site has info about sexing visually with the moluccans. It's further down the page. Okay its at the bottom of the page...

Moluccan's

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I loved reading that page Victoria, thanks :) That sanctuary is a wonderful place for such beautiful birds that just aren't appropriate for the "average" parrot home.

That's great that Peach has turned around in your care! Sounds like he/she is lucky to have such a good environment :)

So, what do you think about the sex now, according to his/her beak size?

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I found them awhile ago when I was looking at shelters! Nowhere near me....

The shelter is actually shipping three of the more crazy or more happy in a group setting toos to this sanctuary. A pair of Moluccans (they actually freeze when people enter the room like we won't see them if they are perfectly still), a goffin missing most of her beak (wants absolutely nothing to do with people), and a crazy lesser sulfur (he is actually the one that taught Folger his whoooo noise wings and all....so there will be a lot of toos learning this behavior in the near future):)

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
The eye color can 'usually' be a sexing marker for cockatoos, but not true for every bird, we have one of those weird females with dark male eyes :) She was DNA sexed... but I have joked that we'll only be sure if she lays an egg one day!! Even if you have DNA paperwork, its not always super trustworthy, mistakes happen or as another too lover on here discovered, sometimes the vet just does not do the test, but takes a guess...

Congrats on the addition to the family and welcome to the world of crazy too people!!

Most Reactions