Money saving insulated curtains!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So, our new place has lots of big windows and 2 large skylights. Very nice for natural lighting, very bad for heating costs in the winter without a doubt. I took a pre-emptive strike against all our heat going out them at night by designing insulated curtains and removable covers for the skylights. Nights are already getting chilly and the extra insulation really seems to be of benefit! I had to leave the blinds up because of HOA regulations and had to work my curtains around them (don't ask, can't even put into words how I managed to do it lol).

Thought I would share some basic instructions on how to do the curtains for regular windows without blinds because I know other bird owners also have to keep the heat up higher than they otherwise might due to the tropical heat loving critters;) The curtains cost about $100 to make for 3 sizable windows and a window door. If one did not go the 'economy' route, you could use a much more attractive fabric than I did.

cameringo_20161004_081759_zpsb46xvina.jpg

cameringo_20161004_081832_zpsb0uushib.jpg

Basically all you need is fabric (I went with bleached muslin, as it is the least expensive fabric and waited for a 60% off coupon from Joann), coordinating thread, snaps (or buttons, to secure the covers when rolled up), reflectix insulation (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574_ ) curtain rods that will fit INSIDE the window frame and duct tape. Just measure the windows, cut the insulation to size (you may need to piece several pieces together for larger windows, simply duct tape pieces together on front and back) and sew up 'cases' out of fabric that can slide over the curtain rod. The most important thing to keep in mind is they must be tight-fitting in the window to keep heat loss to a minimum. Curtain rods should be mounted as high as possible so there are no gaps at the top between the curtain and window frame. Be sure to incorporate a strap that can secure the curtains when rolled up during the day.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Genius!
And they're attractive, too, would fit in with rustic, provincial, modern and many other (if not any) decor.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Genius!
And they're attractive, too, would fit in with rustic, provincial, modern and many other (if not any) decor.

One could customize to fit any decor style with the right fabric:) We just have a lot of value-adding improvements we want to do to this place and didn't want to spend too much on this project (but still wanted energy savings).

Should also add for the sewing inclined, the 'decorative' tops on mine are pretty easy to incorporate. Strips of insulation inside a wide fabric "tube" stitched close to the insulation strip and voila! Looks like 'trim' on the top of your window:)

Most Reactions