More about Kakarikis

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
Not much is really known about kakarikis, and not everything I'll say is 100% (of course, also depends on individual birds too) but I'm going to say what I know about my kak ( we named him Kirby) and some facts

Kaks are from New Zealand
Kaks love shoulders and hair they will sit in your hair forever!
Kaks love water Kirby likes washing in his water cup and showering (they aren't averagely super cuddly birds but when they are in the shower, they become super cuddly!
You should feed your kakariki cockatiel food or pellets and fruit and veggies
Kaks eat A LOT you put food in the bowl and its all deshelled and in his belly in an instant.
Kaks also eat, EVERYTHING when Kirby flies on the ground he picks up whatever he sees and either 1. Eats it 2. Picks it up and drops it in his beak or 3. Breaks it. This goes for cat food, bird food, bed foam (I had to make sure he didnt swallow that!) And random stuff he finds in the carpet (gross, Kirby...)
Kirby also loves crackers, I share little bites with him but its really salty so I have to say to his begging.
Kaks are active! you should see Kirby hop all over the place!
Kaks can also be very calm. they aren't always super active! Kirby can be really cuddly at times. He'll poof up and have warm feet and just sit there cooing.
Kaks love other Kaks I do want to get Kirby another kakariki soon. They don't become more attached to them and less attached to humans though, like most birds. Atleast that's what I've seen and heard.
Kaks don't dislike humans like many places on the internet say
It really has to do with being handraised and used to humans though. Where I got my bird, all the Kaks are handraised and really sweet generally.
They aren't super cuddly in terms of loving being pet everywhere and held on their backs like GCCs. They do love being with you though and, like I said, are very cuddly in the water (I don't know why, maybe it calms them down?)

Kaks can be flighty
You should clip them if you don't want them to fly all over the place! Kirby's feathers have grown so he loves to fly! Some people think they should be clipped so they aren't flighty, some say they should be able to fly since they love it so much.
Kaks are messy! Kirby picks up a footfull of food he dosen't like...and tosses it over the edge! The bottom of their cage will get messy fast with seed hulls, poop and all of their food.
Kaks are ground birds Unlike most birds they love to run around on the ground.
Kaks are curious! They want to get into everything.

Last edited:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Those are a new type of bird for me so thank you for sharing the information:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts