Coco.
Kaia — The sea.
Keanu.
Noe — Rainy.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I have always found naming my fids to be a tough chore, but I do have a method that is so far the only effective one for me. I never name a fid before getting him/her.

I prefer to bring the new fid home and 'observe' them for a few days (or weeks) and see their personality flourish and show and then derive a name from that. It's always worked well for me. When I first got Skittles, I was thinking of naming him 'Bobo' or "Chewie" since he was such a clown and also a major chewer. Neither sit right with his personality though since they focused on just a few personality aspects. Then a friend suggested 'Mango', which I really liked but, again, didn't seem to cover what I had in mind. Finally, a (now former) friend suggested "Skittles" which despite the source just 'clicked' all the boxes for me. It encompassed both his physical traits and his personality.

With my cockatiel, Peaches, she was a rehome. My mom had her prior and named her 'Bobby' thinking she was a male. I renamed her "Tortilla" cause she liked Doritos (I know, my bad, I didn't know back then) but it just didn't sit right with me. But she was soft, fuzzy and sweet with little orange patches on her cheeks so I named her Peaches.

Long story short, my suggestion is to come up with a short list of favorite names and then spend a few days (or more if needed) with the new fid seeing how each name fits and once you settle on one then you can focus on teaching them their name.

My Skittles responds more to "Skitty" than his actual name because thats what I call him 95% of the time.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
The belly looks very "lemony". lol.

You could go with "Mel" or "Lolly" or "Lo-Pop". lol.

If its a she, you could go with "Melody" if she likes to sing/chirp and has a particular behavioral rhythm she follows.

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Mama to Milo the Pineapple X Cinnamon GCC
I have always found naming my fids to be a tough chore, but I do have a method that is so far the only effective one for me. I never name a fid before getting him/her.

I prefer to bring the new fid home and 'observe' them for a few days (or weeks) and see their personality flourish and show and then derive a name from that. It's always worked well for me. When I first got Skittles, I was thinking of naming him 'Bobo' or "Chewie" since he was such a clown and also a major chewer. Neither sit right with his personality though since they focused on just a few personality aspects. Then a friend suggested 'Mango', which I really liked but, again, didn't seem to cover what I had in mind. Finally, a (now former) friend suggested "Skittles" which despite the source just 'clicked' all the boxes for me. It encompassed both his physical traits and his personality.

With my cockatiel, Peaches, she was a rehome. My mom had her prior and named her 'Bobby' thinking she was a male. I renamed her "Tortilla" cause she liked Doritos (I know, my bad, I didn't know back then) but it just didn't sit right with me. But she was soft, fuzzy and sweet with little orange patches on her cheeks so I named her Peaches.

Long story short, my suggestion is to come up with a short list of favorite names and then spend a few days (or more if needed) with the new fid seeing how each name fits and once you settle on one then you can focus on teaching them their name.

My Skittles responds more to "Skitty" than his actual name because thats what I call him 95% of the time.

That’s a great way of doing it! Hah, I was thinking of writing a few of my favourites on paper and letting him pick his own name! :p

I won’t know his sex until we go to the vet, where he’ll get a blood panel & DNA sexing done, so I’m calling it a he for now [emoji28]

I love those names you suggested because of his Lemon belly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions