more questions

spaced

Jul 4, 2010
Media
qld australia
hi.

i have seen from various threads both here and other sites, that the clipping of wings can be controversial.
personally i'm really not sure what to do when i get a bird. hopefully it is going to spend a lot of time outside its cage, and i'm happy for it to fly around too. do most people have their birds clipped?

i would like to try harness flying at some time, so i suppose that answers my question, but thats something that may not work out, who knows?

i am going to get perches of various thicknesses, i'm also wondering if birds like to use things like hammocks to lay in, or things they can crawl into to sleep? or would they just tear these things to pieces?

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
i would like to try harness flying at some time, so i suppose that answers my question, but thats something that may not work out, who knows?

I know what you mean, you never know how it will turn out. Harness flying is a great way to bond with your bird and to assure he gets his daily exercise and atttention. This leads to a healthier, happier bird. I definitely reccomendat least trying it out.

i'm also wondering if birds like to use things like hammocks to lay in, or things they can crawl into to sleep? or would they just tear these things to pieces?

Actually there are tents and huts you can buy for birds that they love to snuggle in. I think it could possibly lead to hormonal nesting behavor, so I avoid them. But that's just me, so it's up to you.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I have three of my budgies wings clipped. They can still fly and it doesn't even slow them down. My other two are flighted. One, Marigold, is flighted because I believe she was clipped too young and it has taken me a whole year to teach her how to fly again. She has a habit of gaining weight really fast and losing it really slow, so I have to watch their diet and flight time inside. The other, Skye, is not clipped because I don't think he will ever really be tame. When Skye and Marigold bred they both started to trust me as I had to intrude when checking the chicks ( nest box was inside the cage, not accessable from outside ). They are okay with me being inside the cage now and will come to me for daily syringe feeding. My budgies all get clipped at one stage but only to strengthen their wings ( not so they just go thunk ). I love watching them fly. No, most parrots will not use 'hammocks' except to nest in and a dark place is perceived as a nest. They can cause chronic egg laying, especially in smaller parrots. How often have I heard the question?:
"I bought my bird a snugglehut and it started laying eggs, why?"
They are unecessary ( just my opinion and a lot of other breeders ) and can cause a lot of problems.

Last edited:

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
Wing clipping is very much a personal choice and one thing that I have learned is "never say never" although I am basically against the principle (at least I was but Argyle was recently clipped as a last resort) but much of the decision to clip should be based on your own circumstances. How busy is your household? Are there children who come and go leaving doors open as they go? Do you have lots of large glass areas such as patios, large doors, uncovered windows or mirrors? Do you have dogs or cats they need to fly away from? Really you need to weigh up the pros and cons in your own lifestyle and most of all ignore those who condem your decision either way. One thing I would add though, I would never clip a bird that has yet to fledge, they need to learn to fly as babies.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Wing clipping should be based on your own circumstances. How busy is your household? Are there children who come and go leaving doors open as they go? Do you have lots of large glass areas such as patios, large doors, uncovered windows or mirrors? Do you have dogs or cats they need to fly away from? Really you need to weigh up the pros and cons in your own lifestyle and most of all ignore those who condem your decision either way. One thing I would add though, I would never clip a bird that has yet to fledge, they need to learn to fly as babies.

I second the above mentioned

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
I really do not know if there are any statistics as to what's the percentage of people who clip versus the ones that don't but, going by the number of comments saying things like "I used to clip but I no longer do it" I think there might be a slow gradual tendency toward not clipping among bird owners. I don't clip.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Lots of good information above. I believe that clipping is a personal choice and responsible bird owners educate themselve about it before it's done. I think it's unfair for anyone to say absolutely no or absolutely yes to clipping.

Personally, it would be a last resort for my birds. However, I understand that there are situations that clipping is the best option for all involved. You have to ask yourself what is in the birds' best interest and safety.

Most Reactions