More than 1 parrot...

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
Who has more than one parrot? How do they interact or get along? Also what parrots do you have? Please post pics and let me know.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have 8 and they don't all get along! Five are a family of Goffins, but only 3 can be together. My BFA is by himself as a biter and doesn't like other birds. One of the Goffins is paired with a Citron - no nest box but simply for company as they both were separated from their long-term mates. (aggression) My TAG lives with 3 of the Goffins in a bird-room and none are ever caged.

Abby, Peanut, and Squeaky. Peanut is also the mother of Gabby.
s6jojQx.jpg

Popcorn and Alice. Popcorn was formerly paired with Peanut and is the father to Gabby, Abby, and Squeaky.
Yn7PX1k.jpg

Gonzo, my first bird acquired about 33 years ago. Great talker!
jtiC0xq.jpg

Gabby, aka "babyface" and one of the sweetest birds!
1K3jDxv.jpg

E.T, my TAG. Lives uncaged with Abby, Peanut, and Squeaky. No rivalries, they respect each others space.
b5YvEaH.jpg

OP
C3mommy

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
What are the noise levels of AG and Cockatoos?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

The TAG is a whistler and a bit of gibberish, sound level always pleasing, about a 2 out of 10. The Goffins are screamers certain periods of the day, reaching a 6 out of 10. They are not physically capable of macaw-like jet engine screeching! Alice the Citron is far quieter than the Goffins. There is some contact-calling as the cockatoos live in 3 different areas.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I have 5...and they do not all get along. Most can be out at the same time as we have lots of play areas and perches that are far enough apart that they can ignore each other if they don’t want to interact :)

Baby and Tango (sun conure and GCC) came to me bonded/close friends. They share a cage and are not aggressive to other birds.

Bindi (sun conure) came from the rescue that I volunteer at. She does not like other birds if they get in her personal space, but can be out at the same time as the others. Has her own cage.

Screamer (cockatiel) was rehomed from a family member. She does not like other birds in her space, can be out at the same time as others as long as they don’t get in her face. Has her own cage.

Stanley (pineapple green cheek) recently got out of quarantine and has been allowed out with the others under very close supervision and not in very close proximity to the others. Still figuring out where he’ll settle into the flock and whether or not he likes other birds. Has his own cage.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I have 3 fairly young Conures (all under 2 years old) and they can all be out and on our big Java tree in the living room together. I do have to watch them as they can get into small tiffs here and there. I have a green cheek (76g), sun (108g) and a nanday (155g) so I do have to watch them as the Nanday could truly hurt the smaller ones as his beak is rather large so I don't leave then alone while together. Luckily, none of them are terribly aggressive towards each other at this time. I am aware that it's possible for this to change with puberty or some other reason.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I have 2 CAG's (18++ and 9 y. old) and recently got a macaw (10 y. old) in the mix.

The CAGs are not really interested in each other, but both fell in love with the big cage (it was initially meant as a daytime play-area, but they just moved in ...) so they tolerate each other.
Well most of the year anyway: not during the breeding season -> then the divider goes back in!
Last year the girl kicked the boys behind, this year is the other way around ...
(so: divide, not conker)

They will not preen each other, sleep on seperate branches, but are keeping an eye on each other- they've learned each others vocabulary and since they both have their favorite foods ... they learn to eat more varied because of the competition.

I do NOT want to breed, so that's all fine with me.

The macaw is not playing nice with anyone sofar - but she has a lot of issues going on, so socializing with other birds is not the highest on the list of priorities.

They al get dragged in the shower together, share special snacks and egg each other on during training (aviator-project).
So a lot of "you may watch, do not touch".

Japie has divebombed Sunny a few times, Appie loves to pull macawtail and everybody is somewhat territorial about the cage -> although the greys always climb inside the macaw-cage to have breakfast and Sunny sometimes ends up in theirs...

I am not comfortable with leaving them all out at the same time some days, and will not let them out & unsupervised.
The macaw is double the size and weight of the greys- all of them are capable of making interesting holes if so inclined...

Japie and Appie have been living together for only 2,5 years, Sunny joined 7 months ago - so the mix is still really fresh!
Who knows what will happen 5 years from now? ;)

Last edited:

katiea

Jul 27, 2018
I have 6, 2 green cheek conures, 2 cockatiels, and 2 peach faced lovebirds. They all live in the same room but most don't get along. The lovebirds get along with each other very well, they usually live together but aren't right now (not because they aren't getting along), as the other birds don't get close, its okay. One of the tiels and one of the gcc get along somewhat, they both like me a lot so I can have one on each shoulder but they aren't really interested in each other. The tiels get along with each other, they don't live together because one of them is territorial over food bowls, but their cages are stacked on top of each other. They haven't interacted in a while, one of them was at the vet for 12 days and now she has some medicine in her water so they get separate out of cage time for another 8 days. One of the green cheeks is newer and hasn't been around other birds except my other gcc so I dont know about him, but the one i've had for a long time is nice to most birds. He and the other gcc get along well, they don't live together and their cages are a couple feet apart. One of them is timid and shy and the other is bold and outgoing so the timid one gets a little overwhelmed by him after a while. They hang out a couple hours a day, sometimes less if one is feeling grumpy. Their cages are only a couple feet apart so they interact most of the day. None of my birds are out unsupervised so I don't worry much about them not getting along. A couple times one of the lovebirds has tried to attack the other birds but the closest he's gotten before I grabbed him was 1-2 feet away, I have pretty quick instincts. My roommate has a great dane and she's not there most of the day but when she's home it's easier having all the birds in 1 room to lock the dog out of, so we've made it work. I'm moving out sometime in the next couple years and I'll keep them more separated then.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I used to have two cockatiels, a bonded pair male and female who were very loving and affectionate with each other, but the hen passed away this year.

I got a new baby (male, Ember) just over a month ago and the two are kept separated in their two cages but they come out to play and can tolerate each other. So far, Boo has shown great interest in breeding with him, he'll make heart wings and dance and sing to him, but Ember is not a fan, since he isn't female he doesn't really understand what Boo is doing, he also isn't afraid to beak him/tell him to back off if he gets too close. It takes about 20 minutes and Boo stops acting like that but it's clear Ember is not a huge fan of Boo....yet!

Until breeding season ends and Boo's hormonal behavior stops (he's had babies with his mate and shows aggression towards me sometimes because of it) I will keep the two separated so Ember doesn't have to be harassed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
laurasea-albums-neptune-blue-picture20365-img-20180816-140513789-burst000-cover-top-3.jpg

My GCC and Quaker love each other and my GCC can be with the parakeets, but the quaker would kill them. My rescue quaker , not sure yet.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My female cockatiels get along well.
I have 2 pair of male cockatiels that get along with each other but the pair don't mix well.

My YNA does on get along with any other birds.

Luna and Bella GCA and CAG respectively can be out of cage at same time but do not interact with each other.

Cockatiels and Bella can be out of cage at same time and they do not interact with each other.

sorry no pics at the moment, I am at work.

and Luna and Cockatiels can be out together and they don't interact.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I have 4 (not counting my 8 American/English Budgies)...And they don't all get along!!!

I have a male Senegal Parrot who is 1 year and 9 months old, a male Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure who is 2 years and 3 months old, a female blue Quaker Parrot who is 3 years and 4 months old, and a female Cockatiel who is 4 years and 4 months old...

Duff, the female Cockatiel, basically keeps to herself and likes it that way. She is able to be out around the other birds at any time, but she doesn't bother them and they don't bother her. It's like they all have an agreement with her, lol. Once in a great while she and my male Green Cheek will sit with each other and even preen each other, and they can be close to each other without any issue, but this is rare...

My Green Cheek Conure gets along with all of the other birds. I don't know why or how, but they all really do get along with him, although he is very closely bonded with my female Quaker. They are the closest of all my birds, they preen each other, sleep together, play together, etc.

My female Quaker only gets along with the Green Cheek, other than that she is pretty much the bully of the group. She has no fear at all, and you can tell that both the Senegal and the Cockatiel would rather not have to deal with her, lol. She definitely is the "tough guy" of the group.

My Senegal is kind of like my Cockatiel, he keeps to himself and likes it that way. I'm his mate, and he's happy with that. He gets extremely jealous whenever one of the other birds is on me/with me/being touched by me, and he will let ME know that he's not happy about it; he never gets mad at the other birds, he gets made at ME for "cheating" on him...

I also have a Ringneck Dove who is still a juvenile, under a year old, who has no fear of anyone or anything at all, who comes and goes as he pleases, who sits where he wants to and makes the other birds move, and who actually lives right next to the Senegal, oddly, and keeps them all in-line. No fear. None.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I didn’t read the comments, I have one Congo African Grey Loud Ass, and a Green Cheek Amazon Loud Ass. Did I mention I have two LOUD parrots? Buzz my CAG has been trying to friend Buddy my GCA lately, it’s a work in process. We do not get to sleep in, ever. Morning is rise and shine time, for me crawl and crawl to the coffee time, lol.

Pics of the love able heathens:

4988347fe9e2edcc653c165f1869248e.jpg

c1d6a421811b36212dd453c078ef4603.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
IMG_0436.jpg - Not the best pic - rotate and squint! They're all in it, somewhere.

I have four.
The ringnecks are best buds and share a cage.
The lovebird has his own cage, and these three get on well most of the time.
My 'tiel is substantially older than the others, and tolerates them until she doesn't. Then she just flies off - she's our curtain rail bird.

We have it pretty sweet really, and I think it is primarily because they're usually all flighted so they've always got an out. Skittles also has his happy hut on the playstand (not one in his cage) so he can retreat if he feels he needs it.

OP
C3mommy

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
Does anyone have experience having a quaker and jenday conure in one house?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Scott---
OHHH that first picture is cute! SO cute.

I have 1 Umbrella cockatoo and that is the only cockatoo I think I could have...then again, maybe more than 1 and they keep each other company--never had the nerve to try.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You are rehoming the love birds, but thinking of getting a Jenday?????? Didnt you have cage issues as well?? It isn't always what species will get along but rather what individual parrot personality, and one may want to be friends but the other doesn't want to or they tolerate each other but are never friends that share a cage, or they are willing to share a cage sometimes but then fight like other times .. are you thinking of a second parrot?

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
You are rehoming the love birds, but thinking of getting a Jenday?????? Didnt you have cage issues as well?? It isn't always what species will get along but rather what individual parrot personality, and one may want to be friends but the other doesn't want to or they tolerate each other but are never friends that share a cage, or they are willing to share a cage sometimes but then fight like other times .. are you thinking of a second parrot?

Hmmm I'd missed the backstory here.

Agreed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Scott---
OHHH that first picture is cute! SO cute.

I have 1 Umbrella cockatoo and that is the only cockatoo I think I could have...then again, maybe more than 1 and they keep each other company--never had the nerve to try.

Squeaky and Abby with symmetry!
jyWDPJm.jpg

Staring at shadows!
Bv4ia77.jpg

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
I have 7 birds. All but 1 budgie is either a rescue or a rehome. The budgies get along beautifully not only with each other but with the conure boys and vice versa; the 18mo Sun and 18mo GCC even bathe together; the BCC is 23yo and is still in quarantine but constantly calls the Sun; the 18yo IRN hates everyone; the 7yo WCP is very stressed when the conure boys visit.

Most Reactions