Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
Lovebirds: Gabby, Dino, and Belle Nips
Quaker Parrots: Mozzi and Sydney
Most of you know I really want a small lapdog.
Not a lot of you (or none of you know) I have chronic back pain.

Most people when I tell them I'm 20 and I suffer from back pain (like a 60 year old does) laugh it off. Well bad news is, my back pain is returning with a **** ton of revenge. It's causing me to lose focus in class, not want to go to work, and doesn't let me sleep in till noon( :'( doesn't help that Gabby goes off at 10am anyway.)

Anyway with the return of my pain, I think getting a small dog will force me out of bed and get me more active. Because I normally roll (literally) myself out of bed, and drag myself around the house just for it to simmer down.

Wouldn't a dog (one I can handle) be helpful? It would get me active with walking (and not just on the treadmill that is a flat surface.) My mom has suggested I go back to the Chiropractor, but that is short-lived without pain.

What are all of your ideas or inputs?
Yes, Nips is doing much better. Her back feathers have grown back, she just enjoys having a breeze on the front of her body. (Everything is healthy no more plucking, she's vet checked 100% healthy girl)

Idea. Comments. Concerns?

:green1:

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Urgh I feel you when you say other people laugh it off.. The amount of injuries I've had, and I act like a 60/80 year old at 22... good gosh how will I be at 80!?

I think a little dog would be good for you. I'm only active when I absolutely need to be and I should exercise a lot.. *guilty look* I've been thinking about getting a Doberman but i doubt the hubby would accept it.

If you have the finances to care for a dog then honestly, go for it! At least if your back got severely awful in the future small dogs don't absolutely and utterly require lots of exercise. Which breed are you interested in?

EDIT: I know when I used to have a dog she was my reason to get up and out of bed to exercise her, and it got me fit aswell as feeling accomplished, because I trained her almost every day not to need a leash on anywhere we went, and how to behave around horses/birds etc. you name it. I think having a dog helps in more ways than one. Bella did have a very narky streak though.. Bit of an emotional and hormonal dog, but nonetheless she was my bud.

Last edited:
OP
Lovely

Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
I have 2 XL dogs. Great Dane and a Lab mix, taking them on a walk is a horrible idea. They will pull me to pieces, I can't seem to get them to understand pulling is bad. I've tried for months, (3 years with my Lab.) It's awful, I want a dog I can walk at a slow pace. Too bad my birds aren't walkable or I'd have a lil flight harness on them and have them on my shoulder walking around my neighborhood.

Lol

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
My best friend(23) also has back problems, a few months ago it got so bad she needed steroid shots to relax the muscles.

I think a small dog would be great, dogs are fantastic!

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Just curious as to why your birds aren't walkable? Are they unfriendly, is it cold where your at, Etc?

I'd say go for it. My friend had 2 Pomeranians and there are soooo cute. They're all just fluffy and run around, haha. What breeds would you be looking into? Personally I like fluffy or long haired small dogs (long haired chihuahuas, Pomeranians, etc.), if you need suggestions ;)

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Hi Lovely, I just wanted to weigh in on this one. I too have chronic back pain so I know how it is. I also have 2 small dogs, Pugs, although Pugs are on the heavier side when it comes to toy breeds. I think getting a small dog is probably a mistake. And here is why - and I have had small dogs near all my life. You lift them up. You pick them up. And you carry them. It's just how it is when you have a small dog. You lift them onto the bed, maybe even onto the couch. Into the car. As you might know, that puts a lot of stress onto your back and lower back. Just something I wanted to point out to you. Now, a medium sized dog requires very little of that type of assistance. I had an American Eskimo Dog that was just perfect - just big enough, extremely intelligent, and very obedient. I have a mix right now who weighs about 45 pounds and I have never had to lift her for any reason. Mly two Pugs? I lift them every day at least several times. You can get moveable steps or a ramp, but my dogs are not keen on using them. Tiny dogs like to be carried. Small dogs need assistance. So something for you to think about.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I do not think you should get a dog. You have been unable to afford to take your birds to a vet and had to repeatedly try to come up with ways to get the money to take them. Dogs are much more expensive that love birds to care for. MUCH MORE.

OP
Lovely

Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
I have lovebirds, and they don't make flight leashed for them. Plus it is getting pretty cold around here.

I completely forgot your name (Sorry) but I come from an active sports life. So unlike most people when they have back pain, who want to just lie down and do nothing to make the pain go away. I have to be moving, even if its being over, or twisting my back. Sitting in class is a nightmare (if you guessed,) having to sit still for more than 30 mins is not pleasant.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Since you already have 2 large dogs, why not enroll them into obedience classes, so that they can be taught by a professional how to walk on a leash properly. This professional may have some useful tools for you, on how to enrich your lives together. :)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Wendy took the words right out of my mouth!! I think with the right trainer and help, you could turn your current dogs into walking pros!

I also suffer from chronic back pain (injuries) and I empathize on the "pulling me to pieces" because I have two large and *very* strong Siberian huskies that LOVE to pull. :eek: training training training. It's the same with our birds- we see undesirable behaviors and train them with desirable ones.

OP
Lovely

Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
Recently I have been able to take Nips to the vet. She's very healthy now. The vet thinks she's fine. (This was a place that cost like $500) Her feathers are growing back, but I think she has her mind sent to not let the front ones (mainly on her chest) grow back in. Let her embrace her inner baldness. Hahaha. But other than her chest area, her back, and around her neck, and under he wings, and by her legs all the feathers are starting to grow. I couldn't be happier.

With my XL dogs. I'm able to train them, Cody (My lab mix) I had him since he was a puppy. He hasn't gotten the memo that he's not suppose to pull on the leash. My family has tried everything, choke collar, and a harness. Nothings working very well, he just has so much energy. Chole (Great Dane) a couple of pulls to get her to stop pulling she's fine, but she has to keep up with Cody (the pulling king) its such a nightmare to walk both dogs. And you can't walk just one at a time. I've tried.

OMG THEY HAVE A FLIGHT VEST FOR LOVEBIRDS YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha wish it wasn't cold, also wish the damn birds of prey weren't around my house in the summer either.

1. Let Nips embrace her inner beauty because, I find her to be the most beautiful Lovebird I own. She's 100% healthy, she eats, drinks, plays, sheads paper like no tomorrow, and poops.
2. MY dogs are a nightmare.
3. I found a hairless dog hes adorable :32:
4. Rant over!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
..... And you can't walk just one at a time. I've tried. ....

Oh yes you can. Where there is a will, there is a way. :)

I bet quality one on one time is EXACTLY the right thing to do with your dogs. And it's never too late to get professional help either.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
There seems to be a lot more to the back story here than I was aware of. But I do know for a fact that small and tiny dogs are picked up frequently, both because they must be, and because you want to help them up on the couch, bed, into/out of the car, etc., than medium size dogs and therefore would be harder on your back than a medium sized dog.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
You may not like this, and I'm not trying to be mean, but I really need I point this out....

You say you want another dog to give you motivation to get up and about, but yet the dogs you already have are "monsters". What will happen if the new dog turns into a monster?? IMHO you don't need another dog because you need to get your current dogs under control. And yes, it is possible. Consistent work and training, being a firm "pack leader", and seeking professional assistance will all help overcome your obstacles with them. Maybe your motivation should be getting up and working with your Dane and lab. Adding more animals to the mix will only cause more issues.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
you may not like this, and i'm not trying to be mean, but i really need i point this out....

You say you want another dog to give you motivation to get up and about, but yet the dogs you already have are "monsters". What will happen if the new dog turns into a monster?? Imho you don't need another dog because you need to get your current dogs under control. And yes, it is possible. Consistent work and training, being a firm "pack leader", and seeking professional assistance will all help overcome your obstacles with them. Maybe your motivation should be getting up and working with your dane and lab. Adding more animals to the mix will only cause more issues.

:35: :35: :35:

OP
Lovely

Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
I believe the dogs Lovely owns are family dogs....

Yes! I want my own dog. I say small, because of the birds cages and the large box of newspapers/toys/food/treats/extra paper I have for them. If I could I'd have my Great Dane and Lab in my room all day every day. If it comes to it, I would be willing to sell Nips Gaby and Dino to an expert.

But I do want a small Hypo-Allergenic dog.
And I have tried to walk the dogs separate. When one goes out the other goes crazy, than I bring back the one I just walked. I go to hook up the one who hasn't been walked, and the one that just went on a walk goes crazy. Its too much to keep one under control because they get soooooooo hyper.

Ill have to take a video. To show what I mean.

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Bruno (male Grey Cockatiel, under a year old)
I have a large dog Lab/hound and three small dogs under 8lbs ( a chihuahua, a pomeranian, and a chihuahua/yorkie).

My Lab mix was a horrible puller because he too had boundless energy. I had a purebred Lab in the past was the exact same way.

You know what solved the problem? Not choker chains, not a halti or no pull harness. But a regular collar/leash and practice, practice, practice.

Yes I got the crap pulled out of me at first. But I know the reason my dog pulled was because he was full of energy and NEEDED to burn it. He NEEDED to be walked 2-3 hours a day. Before we would go on walks I would play fetch for 15-20min (45 mins with my previous purebred lab) before the walk. I don't have a fenced in backyard and had to hook him up to a cable tie out for fetch. But it worked!

He pulled for about the first 5-10 mins of a hour long walk but after that quickly calmed down and walked loose leash.

He is now a great mannered leash walker. He also no longer requires fetch before walks, because he is walked 3 hours daily and is no longer full of frustrated energy.

My point is Labs NEED excercise.And trying to solve a pulling problem without providing suffient exercise is not realistic.

I also have to say small dogs are no walk in the park. Do lots and LOTS of breed research. Even though my small dogs can't injure me when they pull they also need training and the same amount of daily exercise as my Lab mix.

Most Reactions