Moved to Oregon with our Amazon...

NVN8V73

Aug 16, 2015
We just recently moved to Oregon, from the desert, I was just curious if there may be any differences I should look for in my amazon Gordo. I know in Vegas we were always giving Gordo showers every other day to keep the dander down. The humidity here has kept his feathers pretty soft but he is still a dander monster:18:. OH yeah is cleaning with Simple Green since its Non-Toxic and biodegradable, if diluted down okay to use around the house??
Anyone else have birds here in Oregon? As far as the move Gordo did pretty good in his travel cage and has adjusted rather well, compared to our dog who got car sick and took 2 days to recuperate after the move. One thing I have noticed is that Gordo is more picky about his food than he was before. But we are still in a motel room and he is still using his travel cage so maybe as soon as we get a place he will settle in better. I think I am stressing myself out because of his eating habits lately don't want him to loose to much weight. Been trying to keep giving him the usual foods we always gave him but he throws most of it on the floor:mad: Any suggestions would be helpful just kinda hard temporarily living in a motel room with a bird and dog.
Thanks

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Oregon and humidity! As a general statement, if you Amazon enjoys a daily shower, keep up the good work. If not move to every other day with a daily light misting.

Sounds are like your Amazon is being an Amazon and waiting for his ability to get out and around more. Eating will come back once he is more active.

So, Big Question: What species of Amazon is he?

FYI: Welcome to Parrot Forums!

P.S. Amazon's Rule!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We moved up to OR form AZ a few years back. Our amazon had moved several times with us before that, enjoys travel and adjusted pretty easily to the move itself. Amazons tend to be fairly laid back birds who go with the flow. Is your bird used to traveling? Has he moved with you before? If not, he may just be a little upset about the uprooting of his life and change in environment. Birds who have lived in the same house their whole lives or for many years may struggle more with a change in environment than those who move frequently and have lived in numerous places. How long are you planning on staying in the hotel? I would suggest trying to keep his routine as normal as possible. If he's used to frequent showers, bathe him in the shower, if he's used to eating with you, eat with him, if he's used to a certain bedtime, put him to bed at that time... whatever you can do to keep his routine normal.

The first winter we were up here (and it was cloudy/rainy for 6 straight months and the sn went down at 4:30 in the afternoon), we noticed he was really "down". We got a featherbrite lamp for him. Not sure I necessarily buy the claims it perfectly mimics sunlight, but he did perk up after we started giving him a couple hours a day under it. He, of course, still comes outdoors in the real sun during the summer, but the supplemental light helps a lot in the rainy months, which are roughly early October through late April. Otherwise, he's been fine up here.

Last edited:
OP
NVN8V73

NVN8V73

Aug 16, 2015
I believe he is a mixed breed, he has a yellow nape and has blue on his front. So maybe a blue front/yellow nape. Not to mention he was hatched with a bum left wing so he always picks at the feathers on that wing so he always looks like the slept on one side with his feathers sticking out all over. I do have a light that mimics the UV light that we used in the winter when the sun went down early, so i guess we will be using it all the time here, as far as the temps here I love it, no longer have to open the front door and have it feel like opening the oven door when you walk out in the mornings.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Humidity in Oregon comes in large droplets... technically I think they call that rain...

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Welcome to the Pacific NorthWET! Having lived here all my life, I'll be interested to see how you feel about the weather this time next year - up here in the Seattle area it's been raining since October-seems to ha FINALLY stopped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts