Moving Questions

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016
in about 20 days i will be moving 1000 miles and having to stay in a hotel for 1 week, now lily and max both live in big cages. about a month ago i brought in a table that they can see and set up the 2 smaller cages so they would not be so stressed when i go to move them into them. what im getting at is it will take a day or so to tear down and clean their big cages and ready them for the move.
i was thinking about transferring them about 4 days before the move to give them a little adjustment time before loading them in the car and going. since setting the small cages up with toys and such both birds at one time or another have flown to them and landed on top. also both birds have their favorite sleeping perches which i figure i should also put into the smaller cages, should i also move other toys from their big cages to the smaller one's?

thanks

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'd go for moving their sleeping perch and their favourite toy in first

then each day move a little more over until the smaller cages look good so they can adjust bit by bit

OP
davefv92c

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016
some random moving info other's may be able to use.
if you need a hotel they are hard to find that are a decent price.
if in the US hit the Motel 6 only one i was able to find that would allow the parrots.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think a couple days adjustment time will be more than sufficient.

As for toys, I'd pack a small box/bag of their favorites to bring with you to the hotel, but as someone who travels with their bird a lot, you don't want toys (or anything else hanging) in a travel cage or carrier. All they'll do is knock your bird in the head repeatedly every time you make a turn or hit the brakes... Food and water dishes are a big non no too unless you relish in the idea of soggy bird food all over the back seat of your car;) Give them food and water when you stop for gas/the night. They'll be fine while driving to go without and likely wouldn't be eating or drinking anyways. I personally wouldn't worry about feeding fresh foods during the driving portion of your move, just bring whatever dry food they'll eat. You'd probably be fine even to just feed dry food while in the hotel. You may also want to throw down a couple old towels or blankets over the seats. Bird cages tend to rip upholstery up.

OP
davefv92c

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016
well trip went great birds not stressed a bit
moving into a new apt on tuesday. we did 800 miles in 12 hours
in a motel6 till tuesday
this turned out to be one of those things i did way to much worrying about.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Glad things went smoothly! Must hope that they settle in well in their new home, too! That could be stressful on them!

Most Reactions