Moving to Australia

halogen

May 18, 2013
Media
Wilmette
Parrots
Arya-Cockatiel
Tyrion-Cockatiel
A quick question for you more law-savvy members...I know there is a law prohibiting import and export of certain plant and animal species native to Australia (including tiels and some cockatoos), so if I moved to Australia, would I not be allowed to bring my fids? Just wondering if there was an exception or a different law for non-breeding/domestic/non-commercial populations or not.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Oh that's right it was the cost I read about, isn't that when they have to keep the birds in a special quarantine facility (someone here, maybe Birdman666 was talking about this topic, whoever it was said it was very hard to do)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I know you have to quarantine any dogs and cats coming in, so you probably do with birds as well. The costs of boarding for six months (or whatever it is now) adds up.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Won't matter anyway. Moving to Australia is a terrible mistake. Too many nasty things live there, you'll probably be eaten by a crocodile or swallowed whole by a great white. It's been nice knowing you. We'll miss you. ;)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Won't matter anyway. Moving to Australia is a terrible mistake. Too many nasty things live there, you'll probably be eaten by a crocodile or swallowed whole by a great white. It's been nice knowing you. We'll miss you. ;)

It is a ridiculous place. Located three quarters of a mile from the surface of the sun... :09:

Don't forget the giant snakes and spiders that are designed to kill us! :p

Plus riding a kangaroo to school every day is a dangerous activity ;)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I think you'd be very hard-put to get birds into Australia. I'm not an authority, though, so do check with customs and the quarantine service. The possibility of bringing disease onto our island is just not something that's viewed lightly, even though your birds might have been thoroughly health checked before arrival.

A few years ago, a racehorse returning from Europe was hastily passed through quarantine and as a result, Equine hentavirus escaped into Australia. O yay. Now, everyone's having to pay exorbitant amounts of money to vaccinate where there was once no reason to. Horses have died and others have become carriers. There are many diseases that don't occur in Australia (Newcastle disease in birds, rabies, lyme disease etc etc etc) and we'd like to keep it that way. :)

This is why it's very difficult to bring animals in. There are other very strict laws that make it hard to take animals out, but that's a different subject.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Plus riding a kangaroo to school every day is a dangerous activity ;)

Aren't there mandatory helmet laws when riding Kangaroos?! Sure seems like there should be! :D

I'm not sure which posts you were talking about, but one I did recently had to do with trying to bring a bird into the States... which is complicated enough.

I think I did look up the consulate posting on the requirements for importing parrots to Australia, and I believe it is posted somewhere on here... I just can't for the life of me remember where. But they have a list of what you can and can't import and export. Call the consulate, or go online. (I'm pretty sure that's where I found it.)

Hey Tab! Which way does the toilet bowl spin when you flush?! Is it true?

Most Reactions

Latest posts