Moving to small studio apartment, worried about gas powered stove and water heater?

gilberttheconure

Dec 27, 2013
Hello all!
I just need a few quick questions answered to calm my fears.

I may be moving to a small studio apartment in the next few months.
The only problem is, is the stove is gas powered and there's a visible water heater in the room.
Would these affect my two year old jenday conure at all?
Every house we've lived in has had electric stoves. And I'm worried about the water heater because I don't know if it lets off any fumes or not?
I wouldn't worry about it too much, but the apartment is a very small studio apartment.

Do you guys think it would be alright for my bird to live here, or should I look for better apartments?

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Our house has a gas stove and water heater, we've never had a problem and have 4 cockatiels, 1 conure and a pigeon.

That being said...if you smell fumes, then there is a problem and your landlord would need to be notified immediately...otherwise you shouldn't smell anything...ever.

Now for an FYI: if something happened while you are there and you smell fumes, I would move my birds to a room that could be closed off from the fumes and crack a window open in that room for ventilation until the problem is fixed. I know you said you are moving into a small studio apartment, so in this case I was thinking you could close your bird off in the bathroom, for instance...unless you get a bedroom with your studio. :)

7 years we've had gas and 3 of those years with our birds and they are all healthy and happy. :)

Good Luck with your apartment search!

Toni

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I live in an apartment with a gas stove and a water heater in the kitchen. My apartment is not that big so I also worry about fumes. My conure's cage is near the kitchen. I always make sure to leave the kitchen window wide open with a box fan blowing out during the day time when I'm not at home.

I'm sure your bird will be fine, just leave a window open :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm installed, a silent, scentless killer and will most certainly get your birds first. Should be fine as long as no fumes leak (which they shouldn't!). I too have gas stove + water heater, all is well in our home :)

Most Reactions