Mowing feathers help.

Kiwibon

Feb 6, 2016
Southampton, UK
Parrots
Pineapple Conure (Lilly), Crimson Belly conure (Poppy)
So I took Lilly to the vet in April, and he told me the reason she was clipping her own feathers was possibly a mixture of/either an infection, hormones and attention seeking.

Shes taken her antibiotics for a few weeks. But she's still clipping off the wing feathers...

Here's a photo:
untitled_by_kiwibon-dbd92e1.jpg

He told me to reward her when she's not doing it, but I don't quite understand what he means... how will Lilly know I'm rewarding her for not clipping?

Sadly her chest is fuzzy from down feathers and not a yellow feather in sight!

Do you have any ideas? Any other ways to convince her to stop? Thank you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So I took Lilly to the vet in April, and he told me the reason she was clipping her own feathers was possibly a mixture of/either an infection, hormones and attention seeking.

Shes taken her antibiotics for a few weeks. But she's still clipping off the wing feathers...

He told me to reward her when she's not doing it, but I don't quite understand what he means... how will Lilly know I'm rewarding her for not clipping?

Sadly her chest is fuzzy from down feathers and not a yellow feather in sight!

Do you have any ideas? Any other ways to convince her to stop? Thank you!

It sounds like your Parrot is Plucking feathers (clipping).

There are numerous reasons for Plucking and each is worthy of verification. There are a number of great Threads on Parrot Forums that provide detailed information.

In the meantime, consider increase the number of baths (water misting) and using a treatment that helps /comforts the Parrot. I would recommend a product like: Soother Topical Spray. This specific product provides both a antipruritic and anti-infammartory, which is important to bring comfort. Never spray or mist a Parrot directing in the face!

Are you seeing a Certified Avian Vet or a Avian Qualified Vet? Plucking is a very specific aliment of Parrots and the average small animal Vet will likely not have the information needed to support your Parrot.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Agree with Sailboat! A certified avian vet is best qualified to assess plucking and possibly administer medications. Was any blood lab work accomplished to determine the presence of infection?

Most Reactions