Mr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde

fulanita

Apr 13, 2015
I love my three year old, male dusky conure to pieces even if he's a biter. He was ok with members of the family being around him when they were over visiting and I could take him out of his cage and he'd perch on my finger while he did some funny stuff that'd make my family laugh. Then one night, when my son's kids (they are big now) were down visiting for the holidays, they were in the kitchen and I had my conure perched on my finger, and as I headed towards his cage to put him away, I spotted a piece of small debris on the floor and I bent down to pick it up, when I felt a bite like I never known from this bird before! He got me on the left thumb on the cuticle and I was bleeding profusely. From then on, whenever someone is around and they start to talk to me or approach me, while I have him perched on my finger, I have to put him away immediately, because his head will puff out and he'll lounge forward like a cobra and strike! The bite is a fierce one, meant to draw blood and it's much different from all the other bites I've known. He never did this before when people were around, until recently. I might mention here too, that he doesn't do this when I'm around my husband. I read the 'Types of Biting/Behavior Mods' and the closest I can come to is #10 (If you can't bite the one you want to bite, bite the one you're with)! How can I break him of this nasty habit that he has all of the sudden developed? He is the only dusky I have. I do have cockatiels too, but in a different cage. Any suggestions? Thank you for reading this. :green:

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have birds that do this too [but more of a nip]. I hate that their isn't a great answer , But we adjust to our birds . Like have him out around your husband . Have others stay away when hes out . Or try him on a play stand [not you]. When others are around . Hes doing this because they make him feel uncomfortable. How can you change this . Everyone in the house has to go over the top giving him consistent positive attention.Then maybe he can learn to trust them too.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I wish i had the magic answer ,, but i don't. IMO this behavior is due to the bird bonding very strongly to a single person, to the exclusion of everyone else. Socialization, socialization, and that will be a struggle with the situation you have. It can be done. You need to take yourself out of the picture when he's dealing with other folks. Let him make friends with another person some how. Maybe just some baby steps. have treats that only others, beside you, give him. Realize he's defensive and don't put him in the situation where he needs to defend you. Your getting the bites because then he has your attention and they go away. He'd bite them if he could. Also ,take more charge in his life. He's in charge now. Dictate when it's play time, nap time, when to go back to the cage, etc. Stop petting him before he nips at you to say, "that's enough". I can guess that's happening. Does he nip at the cell phone? Mouse,keyboard? You need to be the leader and set the rules for proper behavior. Just my .02 worth.

PS , reading that it sounds kind of mean. It's not meant that way. I've dealt with the same issue several times. When they're new cuddly babies we tend to spoil them a bit and it comes back to haunt us. The best advice i can give is to be aware of what's causing the action. Try and see where he's coming from. he wants you for himself and is worried someone might take you away. Give him the confidence, security, to deal with others, show him the way. Putting him away when friends visit will only make it worse. In his mind they're the cause. Instead , have you friends keep their distance when he's out . Show him your friends can be his friends with out pushing him too far. have your friends ignore him. Play hard to get. Even if he's just curious is a positive step in the right direction.

Last edited:
OP
F

fulanita

Apr 13, 2015
I have birds that do this too [but more of a nip]. I hate that their isn't a great answer , But we adjust to our birds . Like have him out around your husband . Have others stay away when hes out . Or try him on a play stand [not you]. When others are around . Hes doing this because they make him feel uncomfortable. How can you change this . Everyone in the house has to go over the top giving him consistent positive attention.Then maybe he can learn to trust them too.

Hi Pinkbirdy: Never thought or tried the suggestion of putting him on a play stand and not me, when everyone is around. That makes sense. So, I'll have to give that a try and see if his attitude changes. Thanx for the advice. :) :green2:

Most Reactions